Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Problem

iama10spro007
02-02-2006, 08:01 PM
I own a 89 CV LTD. Its been sitting in my driveway for a three months. I had to recharge the battery. After doing so, the car would crank but not turn over. I am not smelling any gas, and when I checked the fuel pressure valve, no gas is coming through. Is there a fuel shut off swith anywhere?? Or could it possibly be a fuel filter?? Anyone with information would greatly be appreciated.. THanks in Advance!

amo4387622
02-02-2006, 08:50 PM
In the trunk on the drive side near the trunk lid hinge is a small black box with a red button on the top that is your fuel pump shut off switch the swith should be pushed down for the pump to work. If the filter has not been changed I would change it.

iama10spro007
02-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Ok.... so its not the fuel shut off switch.... Any other suggestions?? I was hoping I wouldn't have to change the fuel pump becasue of its location which I believe is on top of the fuel tank.. I am sure it will not be a cheap repair being that I am trying to sell the car without having to add too much money to it. Please Help!!!:banghead:

amo4387622
02-02-2006, 11:27 PM
When you turn the key on but engine not running do you hear the fuel pump come on to prime the fuel lines? Do you know if you have spark? Also I would check for blown fuses under the dash and under the hood. And yes the pump is on top of the tank.

iama10spro007
02-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Yes my hand is still burning from the spark (jk) and no unfortunally I do not hear the fuel pump priming the lines. I've checked the fuses under the dash, but perhaps it may be a relay??? Not really sure where to check under the hood for other fuses.

way2old
02-03-2006, 07:05 AM
the relay is on the drivers side down by the radiator. It should have a green base on it.

iama10spro007
02-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Ok way2old,
I have located the green relay on the driverside by the radiator. I removed the relay and it appears that there is a good amount of corrosion on both the wires leading up to the relay, and the relay itself. Could the corrosion be a cause to why the car isn't getting any gas?? I am not really sure on how to check to see if the relay is blow or not..

amo4387622
02-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Yes if there is corrosion on the wires it will effect the pump from getting all the voltage it needs to run. And as for the fuses under the hood they are in a black box on the driver side fender close to the brake booster. and one of the ways to tell if the relay works is have someone turn the key to on position and while holding the relay or it in the car you should be able to her a click. If no click the relay is no good.

Add your comment to this topic!