Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car Wont Start

blade34609
06-20-2002, 02:13 PM
Hi,

I have a 1983 Toyota Celica and for some weird reason it wont start anymore.
It all started when i changed the oil in the car.
Then i restarted it and it started up fine.
But when i went back out to restart a while later it wouldnt start!
I then tested it with my charger and it said the battery had a full charge.
But when i try to turn it on, the car attempts to make a sound but i cant get the engine to start. I just head an electronic sound like its making an attempt. Its a clicking sound.

When I tried to jump start it i could see all the current flowing though the dash cause on my volt meter it was way up there.
But when I turn on the ignition its makes that clicking sound but wont start.
I dont know if maybe my battery is discharged.
I have checked for corrosion on battery cables and readjusted the cables for a tight fit.

I hope it has nothing to do wit the ignition coil or system.
I have been jump starting the car a whole lot though. Cause when i work on the car i usually shut it off and on. But then again, i did fully charge it. I hope that all I need to do is buy a new battery.
And also what causes a discharge?

Please anyone help me if u can.

Thanks

ivymike1031
06-20-2002, 04:00 PM
first, try this:

turn the headlights on (shining against a wall or similar). Are they bright? Dim? Do they start bright and fade?

If they are pretty bright, try to start the car. Do the headlights turn off completely? Fade to almost nothing? Remain bright?

If the headlights remain bright, make sure that the car is in park (automatic) or that you've got the clutch all the way to the floor (manual). Wiggle the shifter a bit if it's automatic. Try again...

let us know what you find.

The Dude
06-20-2002, 05:28 PM
I got an idea. This sounds wierd but try this. Sometimes on old cars with electronics on it wont start cuz the indicator that tells the computer if the car is in Park doesnt work. Try to put it in Nuetral and start it. Ive had it happen to my sister and my friends cars.

blade34609
06-20-2002, 09:22 PM
Hi,

Yea i tried all of those things.
I just took out the starter and i'm going to take it to a auto place and get a rebuilt one. Hope that works.

Thanks,
Owen

Rampicatore
06-21-2002, 03:09 AM
Hi !
Had more or less the same problem.
I just renewed the battery which was completely charged. All the electrical stuff like headlights etc. worked just fine , still the engine cranked for a moment , later it would give just a clicking sound.
I checked the voltage and it was about 11,40V which was too low to start the engine. I then fully recharged the battery , installed new negative pole-batterycables. After that my car started immediatly.

Before I checked the following : oil , cooling , renewal of sparkplugs and HT-leads , superficial cleaning of the carburator , checking the gasignition and choke.

Hope this helps.

Greetz

Rampicatore

Add your comment to this topic!