Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Temporary Hitch question

LXA
02-02-2006, 07:19 AM
I inherited a hitch that attaches to the bumper of a vehicle. (thanks Dad!) It's very sturdy 3/8" steel, and sort of "C" clamps to the top and bottom of the bumper w/ supporting cross members. Would you trust this type of hitch to tow a medium weight trailer with a moderate load for about 300 miles? I'd be towing it w/ a 93 Rodeo 5sp 3.2 V6. Could the bumper take the stress? (is it strong enough) and/or is there anything else I should look out for? I will put a permanent hitch on in a couple of months, but just need a temporary fix to haul a couple of loads soon, if I won't do any damage to the truck. As always, if I didn't ask, I'd screw it up. :banghead:

highlandlake
02-02-2006, 09:01 AM
I see you live in Ohio. How much road salt is used in that region? The rear bumper is a rust magnet because the salt and mositure gets trapped there and doesn't get flushed as much as the front of the vehicle. The rust will weaken the bumper supports and can't be trusted to haul anything more a few hundred pounds. An empty trailer can easily weigh more than that. For your 'moderate load', and traveling 300 miles I would wait until a real hitch is installed - for your safety and the safety of everyone else on the road.

Ramblin Fever
02-02-2006, 09:07 AM
No, no, no, I wouldn't do it. Something happens and you can be in for more then you're bargaining for.

Go to U-haul or Camping World, either of those places should have one that'll fit.

I have a class 3 hitch on my '97 Rodeo; but had a class 2 on my '91 Rodeo.

I would definitely put on a class 2 or even a 3 - as they are easier to find fitments for, if needed.

Do not let anyone install a class 1 on there.

LXA
02-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Ah, well...that's what I was aftaid of. Thanks for the help and advice.

Highland I'm pretty sure the only thing used out here is salt. Not that we've had enough of a winter to put a dent in the supply this year. Actually kinda bummed that I haven't even had the chance to pull anyone out of a ditch. Guess I should look and see how rusty the inside of the bumper is.

Ramblin I'll get a Reese hitch put on in a month or so. Rather have it all bolted on and tied in the right way. Just thought I'd try a quick & cheap work-around for a weekend project. But ya always get what you pay for (or what you don't pay for). Project will wait.

Thanks again! This is a great site. I've learned a lot about my truck and know that I can get any question answered. I really appreciate all that post here. I hope to be able to help in the future. Anyone needs help with their old IHC, just let me know.

Add your comment to this topic!