Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Solenoid E malfunction 1999 Toyota Sienna

wagle100
02-01-2006, 08:56 PM
After changing the automatic transmission fluid I see the CHECK Engine sign. The error code is 0770 or Shift Solenoid E malfunction. Can anybody help me as what ithe reason for this CHECK engine sign and how to fix it. ( Is it due to leak in the gasket with warped pan, or is the solenoid the real problem ?)Your help will be very much appretiated.

Doug Tatham
02-06-2006, 01:56 PM
I don't have much experience with automatic transmissions, but I can think of two possibilities:
1. Most likely: fluid hadn't worked its way into the valve after change before the valve tried to operate. No lubrication: valve didn't open/shut, error code. If error presists, you need to have it checked.
2. Slight possbility: When fluid/filter was being changed you got debris downstream of the filter and clogged the valve and it's being held open.

Suggestions: With the brake pressed shift from reverse to each of the gears. Wait for the trans to grab between shifts. Repeat several times. Clear the code and drive it a bit. If code returns, take it to a trans shop.

Doug Tatham
02-06-2006, 02:02 PM
The fluid may not have worked its way through to the valve when it tried to switch and without lubrication it stuck. When you changed the fluid and filter some debris may have worked it's way downstream and clogged the valve and held it open.
Apply the brake and shift to drive, reverse, low, reverse... several times. Give the trans a chance to grab each shift. Clear the error code, then drive it around a bit to see if it returns. If it does, go to a transmission shop. You problably just have a bubble that needs to work it's way out.

TerryinRoswell
03-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Don't know how many miles are on your sienna but my engine light came on last week and I took it into the dealer. It turned out to be the solenoid for which they replace the transmission. I was advised that Toyota extended the warranty for the transmission to 8 years/100,00 miles. Fortunately I only have 74,000 miles on my car.

wagle100
03-18-2006, 10:57 PM
After changing the automatic transmission fluid I see the CHECK Engine sign. The error code is 0770 or Shift Solenoid E malfunction. Can anybody help me as what ithe reason for this CHECK engine sign and how to fix it. ( Is it due to leak in the gasket with warped pan, or is the solenoid the real problem ?)Your help will be very much appretiated.

Opened the transmission pan and found a solenoid wire squeezed between the pan and filter. This must have happened when I changed the transmission oil. The plastic insulation was burned . I coated the wire with gasket compound. and placed the wire in the correct slot where it does not get jammed. But sill I get the check engine go off for a few days and then come back on. I went to the Toyota dealer . Since there is no clear diagram of where the solonoid is located I asked the Toyota dealer if I could buy and replace the solenoid. His answer was it was a difficult task. The whole transmission has to be dropped and solenoid replaced. Is this true ? Can I unscrew the pan and do it myself? Your help will be very much appretiated.

thongdd
01-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Opened the transmission pan and found a solenoid wire squeezed between the pan and filter. This must have happened when I changed the transmission oil. The plastic insulation was burned . I coated the wire with gasket compound. and placed the wire in the correct slot where it does not get jammed. But sill I get the check engine go off for a few days and then come back on. I went to the Toyota dealer . Since there is no clear diagram of where the solonoid is located I asked the Toyota dealer if I could buy and replace the solenoid. His answer was it was a difficult task. The whole transmission has to be dropped and solenoid replaced. Is this true ? Can I unscrew the pan and do it myself? Your help will be very much appretiated.

I had a same problem the code PO 0770 Shift solenoid E malfunction. I dropped the oil pan and tested the number 2 solenoid with compress air, the solenoid was leaked. I replace the solenoid and cleared the Engine Light. the car ran good for couple of days, then the Engine check light came back. I check the OBD II code. this time it shown me code PO0770 SHIFT SOLENOID E only. It did not show the "Malfuntion". I think the tranny has over 200K miles, it may be heavy contamination and blocked off the oil path and caused dropping pressure, the EGR may get a false reading and displays the Solenoid E malfunction.

wagle100
01-12-2007, 06:31 PM
I took my Sienna to the Toyota dealer. He first charged me $350 then an additional $140 and got it fixed. I don't have the problem anymore. It took about three , four visits.

beznsarah
07-09-2007, 09:38 AM
So do you know what the problem was and what was the resolution that you paid for?

Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!