Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'97 Cold Stalling

Rookie mechanic
02-01-2006, 06:21 PM
I have a 1997 2.4L Grand Am with about 97,000 miles on it. When I start it on cold days and begin to drive it immediatly, it will run fine initially but stalls before I go more than 2 blocks. This usually occurs during an acceleration from a stop sign 1 block from my home. Upon stalling the battery light will turn on. After a try or two, the Grand Am will start up with no warning lights lit, and after a moment of shuddering, the car runs fine. I have found that if I allow the engine to warm up enough for the temperature gauge needle to move, this problem goes away, but it is a little bit of a hassle to do this every time I start it. I've owned the car for almost 2 years and the previous winter there were no problems.
Sincerely,
Rookie Mechanic

GTP Dad
02-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Welcome to AF!

Does the car idle correctly when you start it? If not you may need to clean the IAC and the throttle body. I would change the fuel filter too to make sure you are getting good fuel flow and I would also change plugs and wires if they are original or have been in the car for a long time.

Check the fuel pressure to make sure the fuel pressure regulator is performing alright and the only other thing would possibly be the crank position sensor failing but check the other items first.

Good Luck!

Add your comment to this topic!