Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help!! Freeze Plug Install?? Rubber Replacement??

jswelburn
02-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Hi. I'm writing this up for a housemate who's got a problem with his 95 GMC Jimmy 4.3. We had noticed back in November that the jimmy was leaking water slowly. It has been getting worse, and I (being the Mechanically inclined person in the house) decided to crawl under there and take a look. To me, it looks like the Freeze Plug on the drivers side has corroded through and is slowly leaking. I've done several DIY projects, but never a freeze plug. From looking at the car, and what i've read on here, it seems like its going to be a pain to pound in a new brass one. However, I heard that some cars have aftermarket Rubber freeze plugs that can easily be installed in tight places.

Does someone make a 4.3 Rubber Freeze plug? If so, where could I pick one up.

If not, has anyone tried using a Freeze Plug installer kit like this with success? Or is it a waste of money?
http://www.chain-auto-tools.com/general_auto_tools/AMR614E.htm

I've been searching around, but haven't been able to find too many answers geared towards the 4.3. Thanks for your help!

jeremy

OverBoardProject
02-01-2006, 08:14 PM
A frost plug is a frost plug, the only real difference is the size.

To bang the old 1 out I use a screwdriver (without a handle) and drive it on the lip until it starts to rotate in the hole.
Then I slip the screwdriver behind, and pry it out.

Those frost plugs that your talking about are an expansion unit. Tighten the bolt and they expand in the hole.

Your local parts store should have the size listed, and get you what you want

candywrapper
02-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Hmm; why not stick in a block heater plug in it ,that way you can plug it in at night in the winter and have a warm start up in the morning. thats what i did aand i love it you get heat come out of the heater almost in a minute. there real easy to put in too.
don

jswelburn
02-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Yeah. I talked to NAPA today about the plugs, they told me just to pop it out and bring it down for them to size up. Any suggestions on whats the best way to get at it? I read somewhere about through the wheel well.... I'll try to post up a pic of it when I get a chance.

Thanks again for the help. I appreciate your patience with my inexperience :rolleyes:

Add your comment to this topic!