Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Rodeo V6 tail light & cruise problem

cntechmgr23
02-01-2006, 10:45 AM
I have two issues and I wonder if they are related and how to troubleshoot it or fix it.
1) During the day the tail lights work fine. When driving at night with my headlights on the tail lights are on until I press the brake. When I press the brake both side tail lights go out and the only tail light I have on is the hatch tail light. Any suggestion on what might be wrong?

2) My cruise control will work fine for a while but if I stop the car and start another drive it will not work again. After it has sat for a while or the next day it works fine for the first trip and then checks out again. What's up with that?

Any suggestions on troubleshooting these issues will be greatly appreciated! The closest dealer is over an hour away so I'm trying to fix what I can on my own.

Ramblin Fever
02-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Have not a clue about the cruise control; but do you have a trailer wiring harness?

If so, disconnect it and see if your lights recover. May be a shot in the dark, but it's known for the trailer harness to short out.

cntechmgr23
02-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but No I don't have a trailer wiring harness. Everything is factory. I've never heard of anything like it. It seems that it has to be shorting out somewhere or maybe a switch isn't working correctly but I have no idea where to start to check those things out. All bulbs work........they just don't work correctly. thanks again for the shot in the dark! I appreciate it

rodeo02
02-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Check the taillight bulbs. They will cause problems with the cruise if they are blown or are not making good contact with the sockets.

G/luck
Joel

cntechmgr23
02-01-2006, 01:13 PM
That's interesting. Do you recommend I replace the bulbs or just make sure these are in tightly? They all light up, however, just not at the correct time as stated in my post.

directory
02-01-2006, 01:20 PM
i'd say...never drive at night...problem solved:icon16:

no need to pay me for that advise, first time is always free...:grinyes:

directory
02-01-2006, 01:21 PM
you know, you just have to love the isuzu wiring...a very small issue has a huge outcome...

what did they do, use one continuous wire for the whole truck?

cntechmgr23
02-01-2006, 01:59 PM
You are right that it should not be this complicated!

Add your comment to this topic!