Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

transfer case-fluid evaporation

MSingletary
02-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Has anyone had a problem with the fluid in the transfer case disappearing? We recently brought our pickup in for problem with 4WD. It is diagnosed as the transfer case. When the extended warranty inspector came out they are denying the claim stating there was no fluid in the transfer case. :mad: I don't know who to fight on this. The warranty states that they will not cover when there is no lubrication. Since there are no leaks, we cannot figure out where the fluid went. A mechanic I spoke with from an independent source mentioned a problem with the fluid evaporating. This is a $1800-$2000 repair bill. Any answers out there??? PLEASE!!! :frown:

OverBoardProject
02-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Welcome to AF, MSingletary

Oil can evaporate, but it would sure have to get hot.

What I recomend that you do is go back to the dealer, with a hidden tapre recorder (This is legal in Canada as long as 1 person in the conversation knows about it, I don't know about the US) and ask them where the fluid went to.

Bring up the fact that there is a chance that it never had any fluid in there

At this point they pretty well have to prove that it was leaking, or drained, or boiled out.
If it boiled out they would have to explain why.

However it's also the owners responsibility get all the oils checked when they get the vehicle serviced.

Good Luck with it

dmbrisket 51
02-01-2006, 01:14 PM
well... hate to say it, but if its newer, fluids evaporate, talking the differental, tcase, TRANSMISSIONS! either it is newer and evaporated, or it never had any in it from when you bought it

cyclonetwister
02-01-2006, 01:42 PM
While oil and fluids will evaporate some, it is highly unlikely that it all evaporated...ask yourself this question: Where is it going to evaporate to in an enclosed system?

I'd check your 4x4 system to check and see if you have the vacuum actuated front differential. The vacuum actuator was most often located under the battery box (at least on the ones that I know: 89-94). The actuator is controlled by a vacuum switch on the top of the transfer case. When that switch goes bad, gets stuck open, or is parked while engaged in 4x4 the fluid is sucked up the lines and into the actuator. It'll be full of tranny fluid, most likely your 4x4 isn't working either. Most of it probably got sucked right up into the intake through the engine...and burnt..

I've got two of them, 93 and 94...It's a screwed up system from the git-go..:screwy:

cyclonetwister
02-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Oh, and extended warranties are about as useful as the buttheads that sell them.:nono: Every condition can be shown to have pre-existed.

They are a complete waste of money.:2cents:

dmbrisket 51
02-01-2006, 04:35 PM
While oil and fluids will evaporate some, it is highly unlikely that it all evaporated...ask yourself this question: Where is it going to evaporate to in an enclosed system?
out the vent tube, the one that causes problems when it plugs and cannot breath, so the fluid blows out the rear seal

Add your comment to this topic!