Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timing Belt Broke While Idling...

RomDonLom
01-31-2006, 10:17 PM
I have an 89 toyota Camry 2.0L 5 speed. Today I drove about 1/4 of a mile, had the car idling and it just stopped. Try to start the car and no luck. I noticed a little smoke coming from the timing cover. Come to find out my it was my timing belt and it busted. How will I know if I need to replace my valves?

DFBonnett
02-01-2006, 09:28 AM
I have an 89 toyota Camry 2.0L 5 speed. Today I drove about 1/4 of a mile, had the car idling and it just stopped. Try to start the car and no luck. I noticed a little smoke coming from the timing cover. Come to find out my it was my timing belt and it busted. How will I know if I need to replace my valves?

Your engine is non-interference. There should be no valve damage. While it's apart you might want to change the water pump and some various seals. Do a search for more specifics.

rimfire,22
02-01-2006, 10:53 AM

RomDonLom,

You and I are kinda in the same boat. I'm currently questioning my fairly recent visit to my local Toyota dealership regarding my belts. Especially the "timing belt". They had just changed mine out less than 20,000 miles ago and now they're saying the belt need changing.:banghead: In your case you got your moneys worth at least. So sorry it had to break at the most bad moment for you. At least your engine is a non-interferrence engine. All you need is to get it Toyota for a new belt and get everything back together running again. Watch-out for the seals!:banghead: They SEEM to always go bad.:screwy: They're cheap but not the labor to put them in.

Good luck and let us know what happens.:)

rimfire,22

RIP
02-01-2006, 11:40 PM
DFBonnet is right. If it's a 2.0 ltr 3SFE engine , it's non interference. Your valves are fine. I've changed the timing belt twice on my 87 with the same engine. If you've never changed one yourself it appears a little intimidating. Once you're done you will wonder why you were worried. Toughest part for me was getting the belt cover off. Buy a manual, set aside an afternoon, and try it. You'll learn something and save a couple hundred bucks in the process.

STANNJ
02-03-2006, 10:39 AM
I have seen instances where there are some fluid leaks where the belt is. The fluid might cause the belt to wear out faster than it should. I have yet to check mine, but will do soon. I did a search and some people mentioned 60k and others says 90k. By the way, does anyone knows how many miles does a new belt could give you typically? 60k miles?.

rimfire,22
02-03-2006, 11:38 AM
I have seen instances where there are some fluid leaks where the belt is. The fluid might cause the belt to wear out faster than it should. I have yet to check mine, but will do soon. I did a search and some people mentioned 60k and others says 90k. By the way, does anyone knows how many miles does a new belt could give you typically? 60k miles?.

STANNJ,

Some dealerships (Toyota) have claimed that the belt will last til about every 77K AT THE MOST. These appear to be the most honest for the consumer. I think it's an iffy question cuz Toyota's suggested 60K timing belt change is based on allot of factors including legal for safety reasons. Persoanlly to change out the belt at 60K is OK in my book assuming one can keep up with the maintenance bills. Remember it's not the part that's high in cost. It's all in labor.

rimfire,22

STANNJ
02-03-2006, 11:47 AM
thanks rimfire.
vbmenu_register("postmenu_3790894", true);
STANNJ,

Some dealerships (Toyota) have claimed that the belt will last til about every 77K AT THE MOST. These appear to be the most honest for the consumer. I think it's an iffy question cuz Toyota's suggested 60K timing belt change is based on allot of factors including legal for safety reasons. Persoanlly to change out the belt at 60K is OK in my book assuming one can keep up with the maintenance bills. Remember it's not the part that's high in cost. It's all in labor.

rimfire,22

zeek1403
02-03-2006, 12:32 PM
I have a 1998 Camry with the 2.2 litre and I am wondering if that is non-interference also.

Mike Gerber
02-03-2006, 01:11 PM
I have a 1998 Camry with the 2.2 litre and I am wondering if that is non-interference also.

Yes it is a non-interference engine.

Just a side note, your belt change interval on your engine is 90,000 miles. My wife has a 98 2.2 liter (5SFE 4 cylinder engine) and I just changed her belt at 92,000. I had this done, since it is a bit cold here in the Chicago area right now and the tech who did the work said all seals and the waterpump underneath the belt all looked fine.

Mike

RIP
02-03-2006, 02:42 PM
As I said in my first message in this tread, I've changed the timing belt twice on my 87. The first time at 116,000 after the belt slipped and threw the timing 40 degrees out, while coming up to a stop light. It was like I had a 3hp Briggs & Stratton under the hood the rest of the way home. Changed the next one at 90,000 miles. Some people learn the hard way.

Toysrme
02-03-2006, 03:11 PM
It's non interfference. The only thing that needs to happen to your engine is to set the crankshaft & cams back in alignment, put a new belt on & go. Might aswell replace the water pump.

I've snapped two on my 3vz-fe.

Add your comment to this topic!