Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

broken ground wire to coil. HELP

91TBIguy
01-31-2006, 11:07 PM
i have a break in my ground wire(white) running to input(grey connector) on my coil. I have 10.5v on the hot (red) wire. I am thinking if i connect a ground to the white wire ill be able to fire it up? any ideas?
john,

1991 chevy s-10 4.3 TBI automatic 2wd...

RahX
02-01-2006, 02:12 AM
the coil isnt permanently grounded, its a triggered ground thats how it fires. did you check it while cranking?

91TBIguy
02-01-2006, 06:11 PM
well, no i did'nt test groud wile cranking. I did test it at acc. mode on ignition switch. Should i have tested it wile cranking?

I understand what a trigger is but how is it a triggered ground? its triggered intermintly so it fires coil? I just assumed that it was just a ground wire in the harness thats broken. Where does the white ground wire go to?

I guess i realy just need a engine harness drawing of a 91 4.3 tbi, but i have been unable to find it.
thanks for the help,
john

unbe
02-01-2006, 06:26 PM
It gets its ground from the ignition module.

RahX
02-01-2006, 11:14 PM
a coil fires like this: the power supply to the coil is 12v all the time. once the coil is energized the ignition module grounds it to fire it. it does this everytime the spark plug fires, well its the reason the sparkplug fires i should say. what kinda problem are you having?

91TBIguy
02-02-2006, 04:40 PM
well The problem I am having is when the truck cranks theres no spark. SO i check the coil wire for sparks wile cranking and nothing. So i used my multi-meter to find out that i was getting no ground and 10v power to coil input at the acc. notch on my ignition switch. SO i assume that the coil wasnt getting ground, but form what i have just learned it gets ground from ignition module so maybe my ignition module is bad??? or the wires have been bumped. Ill check this... Keep the reply commin...
thanks all,
91TBIguy

unbe
02-02-2006, 06:11 PM
I would assume you would want to check it in the run pos. instead of the acc. pos.

91TBIguy
02-04-2006, 06:14 PM
check it in run? i checked it in acc. and i just re-tested it wile cranking and i still have no ground, it has to be the ignition module... going to put a new one in now.
john,

unbe
02-04-2006, 06:59 PM
check it in run? i checked it in acc. and i just re-tested it wile cranking and i still have no ground, it has to be the ignition module... going to put a new one in now.
john,
I should have said check it while cranking,it could also be a problem with whatever triggers your module or the wiring between them.

91TBIguy
02-05-2006, 02:21 AM
Hey all,
Well, after picking up my $32.95 ignition module for my trusty local advanced auto supply. I installed my new module and gave my optima a little juice and she started right up... All is good in the the land of the 4.3, for now:wink: ... so anyway thanks to everybody who helped incuding rahX and unbe.
Peace,
91TBI guy

Add your comment to this topic!