Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Changing Plugs on 1996 park ave

skiboy5250
01-31-2006, 09:51 PM
If anyone has any tips on removing the old spark plugs and getting new ones in I could use it. I have a 1996 park avenue and all ive been hearing is that its really hard to get the back ones out and that I should take it in to have it done. Well I plan on trying to do this the next couple days so if anyone can give any tips before I start it would be great. Thanks

MT-2500
01-31-2006, 10:08 PM
Ther are a piece of cake to change plugs.
Use AC delco plugs the book calls for.
And check plug wires real close.
If a lot of miles on them it is a good time to change them.
If you have upper eng struts bars you can remove them and pull engine forward.
If not some times you can remove a few small things on the back side and reach in there better.

Loekee75
02-01-2006, 12:15 AM
Another tip would be to wipe down the engine where the back plugs are before removing them; if you have grease or old oil build up back there it could get real messy for you. There's also the possibility of getting gunk on the new plugs, which of course could fowl them up and cause a possible misfire

regalfriend
02-01-2006, 10:18 AM
You may not want to wipe down the area near the spark plugs. Using a rag may loosen dirt and and even push it into the spark plug well. If alot of "gunk" is present, it's best to use an air hose to blow the area clean. Then remove the old plugs. I did mine using a couple of U-Joints and a couple extensions. I didnt need to remove the top tourqe strut mounts.

skiboy5250
02-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks for all the helpful hints. It went pretty easy, definitly helped having a second person there to give me a hand with tools but didnt need to removed anything or move anything to get at them like I had heard. So thanks for the help.

Add your comment to this topic!