Seeking Advice- Time To Get A New Car

OttawaSensky
01-31-2006, 06:08 PM
Hello there all, new to the boards and wanted to ask for some of your guys advice. The lease on my car is about to expire (2002 Acura RSX-S) in April, so I have begun to shop for a new car, which I am also looking to lease. I would like to try something different than my acura, which I loved BTW, and in 4 years, I didn't have ONE problem with it. What I want my budget for a lease to be is around $300 a month, hopefully without that much down.

My current philosophy on cars is that if you do all the maintences and treat them right, they wont break on you. Well I hope thats the case anyway as I always treat my cars very well and don't abuse them, so I came to ask your opinions on models im looking at.

06 VW Passat- id like to get a 2.0T for around $300 a month, but ive heard some VW stories that kinda scare me, but like I said, i always do the maintences on my vehicles, and treat them really good.

06 Jetta GLI- This one intrigues me as it looks pretty cool, once again a lot of this has to do with price, to see what I cant get a month for it.

06 Saab 92X or 93- You can now get the GM discount on Saabs, which I can get, so id like to look into these options as well. I know the 92X is the exact subaru replica, but im thinking with the GM discount it could be the same.

06 Volvo S40

06 Nissan Xterra- Im thinking about switching to an SUV just because of the winters, and if I can lease an SUV for cheap I could see myself going with it.

06 Equinox- Another SUV I was looking at.

06 Suzuki Grand Vitara- Really cheap for a SUV :)

Basically that is my main list of things I would like to look at. I would love to get another Acura, but the next step up is a TSX, and i think that starts at 27K and would be way out of my price range.

Just wondering what you guys think, and please, I would love for you to make other suggestions on cars you think would be really good for my price range, not just the ones I listed.

I know this is a big list and I really need to narrow it down, I guess I need to get to some dealerships and start really figuring out prices eh? Thanks for the help to all those who post.

Chad82
01-31-2006, 07:20 PM
Just out of curiosity, why do you lease? There are occassions when I think leasing is the right choice, but more often than not its smarter to buy IMO.

harrymay
01-31-2006, 09:05 PM
what is your dn payment?

stay away from the vw's, they are nothing but problematic. smae with the chevy equinox.

the volvo s40 is a great car. especially the AWD. and the nissan xterra is an awesome SUV

OttawaSensky
01-31-2006, 09:35 PM
Just out of curiosity, why do you lease? There are occassions when I think leasing is the right choice, but more often than not its smarter to buy IMO.

I lease because basically I can get a better car, with a cheaper monthly payment. I know in the end youre basically giving away money because you have to return the car, but I do like having the option to drive a new car with a lower monthly payment. Plus, 12-15K miles a year I can do easily, as I dont have to drive way too much. So in my case, I think leasing makes perfect sense for me. Plus I like getting a new car every 3 years or so as well.

Thanks for your opinion on the VW's, I hear their coming back out with the GTI and im going to look at one as well, as I hear GTI's/Golfs arent nearly as problematic, I really like that new style on the passat though, it keeps sucking me in.

Anymore suggestions on cars from anyone would be great, as my list isnt limited to this, its just cars I really like I thought of, which I think will be in my $300 a month price range. I really need to get out the dealers and maybe take a few test drives.

To the person who mentioned the Volvo, I Really want to look into it, but my gut feeling is it may be a bit too pricey to pull off, as Im thinking Volvo is going to want a huge down payment. Im definitely going to look into it though. Im hoping to get a down payment of 1k at the MOST. Hopefully some haggling will make me pull something off. Thanks for the opinions so far.

Tonto Kowalski
02-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Why did you tell him to stay away from the Equinox? That is a great vehicle.

directory
02-10-2006, 01:12 PM
all i know--if you get an SUV--you're going to want to add a ton of accessores to it--trust me.

but don't let that discourage you.

harrymay
02-10-2006, 02:07 PM
as far as i see it with VeeDubs, they will not ever have the same quality unless they move production from mexico to germany.

The equinox may be a good car, but that little bowtie is what kills it. Especially if you are leasing, the residual value of it is much lower than the competition.

the two cars on your list that i would choose are the volvo s40 and the xterra. both are good cars, with very good residual. For 1k down, you would be able to get a lease on the xterra, i was able to get a lease for 0 down on a loaded altima 2.5s.

fredjacksonsan
02-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Out of your list I like the Volvo best; they've got a good reputation IMO.

But I also thought: why not buy the RSX? You're at the end of the lease, true....but you know how it's been kept up since you did it, and buying used will save you a ton of money, especially with under 100K on the clock
and no problems thus far. You say you've loved the vehicle...why switch?

OttawaSensky
02-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Out of your list I like the Volvo best; they've got a good reputation IMO.

But I also thought: why not buy the RSX? You're at the end of the lease, true....but you know how it's been kept up since you did it, and buying used will save you a ton of money, especially with under 100K on the clock
and no problems thus far. You say you've loved the vehicle...why switch?

After doing a ton of research, the best deal ive gotten so far is the Volvo S40, and i fricken love that centre counsel, although when it comes to the power behind it, I like the RSX-S a lot more. The S40 is really really comfortable, and unlike VW, the people who work there were nice as hell, and not dickheads. (I went to three VW dealers, all of them acted like asses towards me).

I also found out that the trailblazer is cheaper to lease than the Equinox, because of residual value purposes. It was still more than I wanted to pay though (331 a month).

Im actually going to look into buying the car perhaps at the end of the lease, but the thing was, with my goalie equipment for hockey, and I take a lot of road trips, I kinda want a more comfortable car to ride in, although the RSX-S is a blast to drive.

So far im really leaning towards the S40, but I was wondering how you like your altima, as im going to take a look at that, and I may also take a look at the Civic SI as well. So if anyone knows more about these vehicles lemme know, the Civic SI really intrigued me, seems like a good car for 20K.

Im kind of really disappointed in VW, as VW's and Audi's are probably my favourite car brand, but the VW dealership just seems rude everywhere, and its just not me, ive heard stories from other people as well. Ah well, hope to skip VW and someday down the road when i can make a lot more money pull in an Audi.

Also, any idea how the Pontiac Torrents are? I dont think they look too shabby at all.

drdisque
02-17-2006, 02:09 AM
Pontiac Torrent is the same car as the Equinox

The thing that really hurts them is their Thrashy pushrod V6 thats made in China (just the engine is made in China, but still, weird)

harrymay
02-17-2006, 09:21 AM
the altima's are really nice. they have a good deal of power in either flavor (i-4 or v6).

id say stick with the volvo. Great cars, not so many on the road, much lower insurance. Plus i love the way they look.

G-man422
02-17-2006, 05:28 PM
i do like volvos.

Add your comment to this topic!