Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How are new Testor lacquers (small bottle, not spray can)?

stevezaj
01-31-2006, 02:20 PM
Just bought bottle of Chryser engine red..... is this a gloss finish??
Thanks.

pre98zetec
01-31-2006, 03:47 PM
should be, the only color i've gotten from testors that wasn't labled flat on the bottle but turned out flat was sea blue

RallyRaider
01-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Dunno about the laquers but didn't Testors enamels have a colour code that indicated if it was gloss or matt? Or am I thinking of Federal Standard codes? At any rate I'd have thought the bottle should give some indication of what is inside.

Jaymes
01-31-2006, 05:07 PM
^it's weird that they don't label those things...long ago I bought a Tamiya dark green color TS spray and it was flat. :(

stevezaj
02-01-2006, 07:33 AM
Well, I tried the testor lacquer paint last nite as follows: stirred paint in bottle, added to gravity feed Iwata, added few drops of lacquer thinner as paint seemed thick. Results: "strings" of paint came out of air brush, I quickly stopped and diluted 100% with lacquer thinner. Sprayed on an old sprue gate and when dried appeared to be OK. Chrysler engine red appears to be a gloss. Upon reading directions on side of paint jar, it appears this paint is intended to be "brushed" on. Maybe it's not for airbrush (??). They recommend Testors lacquer thinner, so I'll get some as maybe their lacquer thinner formula is best to use with their paints. Live andn Learn!!!!!!

Ferrari TR
02-01-2006, 10:57 AM
I've only used one color on one project. The color was labeled 'gloss black' and sprayed gloss. The paint does seem to be quite thick. I first thinned it about 50% with automotive acrylic lacquer thinner. That went on with a gloss suede texture! So, after sanding it down, I thinned it another 50% and it went on fine.

Add your comment to this topic!