Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4.7 L Piston slap

bhanson57
01-31-2006, 02:04 PM
An issue is arising around piston slapping in this motor.
It does not do it when the engine is new. It becomes noticeable when the engine has around 30k miles. The engine is not yet warmed up and the engine is gear and the rpms slightly above idle. The sound will be there until the engine reaches a normal operating temp. Upon further review with Toyota mfg. representive this is a normal condition.
It is not normal to have piston slap developing this early. I would be very leery about this engine and Toyota's position considering the engine in Toyota's higher end SUV's like the Sequoia. This engine calls into question Toyota's reputation for quality.......

borneseller
02-02-2006, 03:08 PM
I purchased my '04 Sequoia in July '05 with 16,000 miles - - now has 27,000 miles and just noticed the same thing you did. Has been in the dealer's shop for two weeks total (2 separate times). Dealer is saying they "opened a case" on it - - "talked with Toyota corporate" - - corporate told them and now they're telling me it's the type of gas I'm putting in (can you believe that!). To me it sounds like there isn't enough pressure to keep the oil in the top part of the engine - - though they say the oil pressure is fine. It's under warranty but I'm thinking they won't really try and find the problem until I'm out of warranty. When a car company won't stand behind it's product - - it really makes you question your purchase. If anyone has a solution, I'm all ears.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/statusicon/user_online.gif

Brian R.
02-21-2006, 08:25 AM
No multiple threads please. Go to 4Runner forum to reply.

Add your comment to this topic!