Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Not as fast as i thought

km23honda
01-31-2006, 05:44 AM
About 3 months ago i bought a 97 GSX ,clutch was gone so i replaced that and have about 400miles on that clutch its strong ACT2100 good grip. Anyways me and my friend were driving home in my GSX i figured i will floor it. So i go trough the gears a couple times and do a down shift, 60mph and shift to 3th. My friend says it doesn't feel like its boosting as much as what is says on the gauge (12psi)
I think he is right even though i never rode in a GSX but have driving in trubo cars that pull way more then mine does.
What could this be??? Mods are Boost controller, 3.5 cat-back exhaust thats that. Sorry if this is a repost. Any help would be Great. Thanks.

Bodack
01-31-2006, 08:32 AM
Boost leak maybe. When you punch it you should definitely feel 12psi.

defiancy
01-31-2006, 08:41 AM
Boost leak maybe. When you punch it you should definitely feel 12psi.

I definately agree, that sounds like a boost leak.

Same thing happened to me on my GS-T.

You can build a boost leak tester, I know there is a link to it in the faqs.

But make sure your intake, bov, and intercooler piping is all connected nice and firm.

Also make sure you MBC is hooked up correctly.

Bodack
01-31-2006, 09:53 AM
You can build a boost leak tester, I know there is a link to it in the faqs.

And since I was JUST reading it because I have a VERY tiny leak somewhere, here's the link. http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

Gsx_hooptie
01-31-2006, 10:07 AM
Like the guys before me stated...

I'd do a common sense test first. Look under the hood and see if anything looks amiss. Follow the air pathway, squeeze the IC hoses, check couplers, etc. Then do a boost leak test next.

The stock turbo on 2gs is small. It may have been running out of breath at the RPM you were shifting.

Are those the only symptoms?

Is the boost dropping at any point?

Why is it only set to 12?

km23honda
01-31-2006, 12:27 PM
Like the guys before me stated...

I'd do a common sense test first. Look under the hood and see if anything looks amiss. Follow the air pathway, squeeze the IC hoses, check couplers, etc. Then do a boost leak test next.

I will check that out today i that would be the easy part of finding something worng.

The stock turbo on 2gs is small. It may have been running out of breath at the RPM you were shifting.
I figure the trubo is small but they way i feel the it kick is not as much as 12psi. Also when im flooring it and i hear the turbo wineding (its loud) so i figure its working.

Are those the only symptoms?
no, i don't think so.

Is the boost dropping at any point?
The werid thing is that the boost gauge stays at 12psi the whole time, and is that normall?

Why is it only set to 12?
its set at 12 becuase i have not changed it at all its has a MBC and i have not messed with it im figureing it still. Plus i dont' want to i think 12 if enough. When you say "only set to 12" is that bad???

Thanks for the help more help would be nice, hope its just a hose.

defiancy
01-31-2006, 01:04 PM
I will check that out today i that would be the easy part of finding something worng.

I figure the trubo is small but they way i feel the it kick is not as much as 12psi. Also when im flooring it and i hear the turbo wineding (its loud) so i figure its working.

no, i don't think so.

The werid thing is that the boost gauge stays at 12psi the whole time, and is that normall?

its set at 12 becuase i have not changed it at all its has a MBC and i have not messed with it im figureing it still. Plus i dont' want to i think 12 if enough. When you say "only set to 12" is that bad???

Thanks for the help more help would be nice, hope its just a hose.

Well 12 is just a little low for a car that has a MBC most people run about 16-17psi on an MBC because that is about the max efficiency of the t-25.

I mean even at 12psi you should still feel the thing pull pretty hard.

Also what is your vac at idle?

clipsekid99
01-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Stock boost on a 2g turbo is ~14 psi, so if you're only running 12, it would feel pretty slow. When I put my MBC in, I went up to the track to test it out. I "set" it at 15 psi the day before, but I guess I didn't tighten the lock nut all the way, and I only ran about 10 psi! Talk about slow lol.

km23honda
01-31-2006, 03:03 PM
When its at 12psi and im flooring it, it feels like it takes forever to get to 7000rpms, the gear around is second and thrid is when i really notice that it takes forever to get to red line. (shifting point) My Honda N/T didn't even feel that slow, I checked my hoses i see one that might need tighting but i don't think its a big deal its a small hose around the BOV. could that be the boost leck?
Running 15psi i would think thats a lot?? Is it safe sounds like it is from what you guys are saying. At idle (1000ish) i think my VAC is 20 is that too much.

Thor06
01-31-2006, 05:06 PM
I think you should just give up and give it to me ;).

Nayr747
01-31-2006, 07:09 PM
15 psi is not a lot. I know it seems like it is because Hondas with turbos always run very low boost. I have no mbc on my car and it's at 15-16 psi naturally. The boost leak tester should cost you around $50 to make, but it's one of the most necessary things for your DSM. I had a leak between the gasket of my bov that I could only find with the tester.

b00stedspYder
01-31-2006, 07:36 PM
yes def. boost leak...ive had this problem many times...ive still got one i jus cannot find...but like everyone said, you will need that leak tester...i made mine for like 20 bucks and it works great. check every hose and every clamp, its possible for them to be broken and rusted even. my turbo sounds extremly loud at first, but come to find out it was all the leaks...now its a quiet sound until my greddy type s comes in! but yea def get that tester and try that

Add your comment to this topic!