Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2K3 neon R/T strange noise when cold outside...

magert
01-30-2006, 02:24 PM
My 2K3 R/T is making strange noise that's seems to come from the transmission. Dealer try to fix it by changing the oil type for some T350 (semi-synthetic performance) but it didn't work... After they change the clutch for a new one (cost me 600$ CAD) the problem was gone... for 2 days... after it come back.! So they replace my old "good" clutch (give my 600 back) and ask Chrysler for a new transmission. They give them one and they change the WHOLE transmission (except clutch) . Problem was ok for 3 days.. After it come back!!! I'm very tired of all this!:banghead:

The noise occur when it's cold outside and stop when the car is hot (exemple: at -2 degree celsius, it last 3 minutes after car is running (Iddle and running and at -20 degree celsius it last 25 minutes...) When I "play" with the clutch pedal te noise change and sometimes dissappear when I press the clutch pedal (clutch not engaged) and restart when I release the clutch pedal (clutch engaged).

The noise is kind of grinding.. seems like a rotating grinding noise... If someone have the same problem or can help me out please! I will appreciate!

(P.S. :Sorry for my bad english :P)

rsublime4life
01-30-2006, 03:34 PM
sounds like a throw out bearing to me. but if they changed all that stuff and didnt put in a new throw out bearing your mechanic is an idiot.

magert
01-30-2006, 05:31 PM
I'm not sure if they did... I'll check and reply back! thanks for your advice!

magert
01-30-2006, 06:35 PM
This bearing have been change along with the transmission.... This doesn't work.. so the problem is somewhere else...

rsublime4life
01-30-2006, 06:50 PM
i believe those have a hydraulic clutch, check to make sure the reservoir is full of fluid and flowing properly thought the lines. Make sure all the air has been bled out.

magert
01-30-2006, 07:00 PM
All it's ok clutch ans transmission is ok... fluid level is #1! all is flowing properly! problem is somewhere else... :shakehead

rsublime4life
01-31-2006, 10:06 AM
thats it im all out of ideas. i hope you figure it out

magert
01-31-2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks for your help! I will try to solve it... if I found the answer I will post a reply!

Fractured1
01-31-2006, 05:13 PM
I know this may be a far stretch but have you checked all you heat sheilds around your exaust and on your cat...could be from a vibration...good luck

magert
01-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Checked all shield... it's not a vibration sound... It Sounds more like a grinding noise... RPM don't affect too mutch the noise... but only when I don't toutch the clutch pedal (clutch is engaged) . In that case RPM change a little bit the speed of the grinding noise...

96neonwidriver
01-31-2006, 07:40 PM
i may be way off here but when i replaced my transmision the flywheel wasnt placed right or not down to size that would make a rattling sound and it didnt make sound when clutch was pushed in or disengaged. maybe. mine is different from yours though. i have a 96.

neonr/trob
03-21-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm having the same problem with 2001 r/t. Hit me back

Add your comment to this topic!