Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Rodeo..Trans light and Cruise set light / Engine Shutdown

jetset45
01-30-2006, 02:07 PM
I have an Isuzu Rodeo 2000 V6 LS 2WD. The transmission light and the cuise set light iluminate followed by a change in shifting and ussualy followed by engine shutdown. I start the car up again, and afterwards everything works fine for a while. It also seems to me that it happens mostly when the car has been driven for a while, although I have had it happen on startup a few times.

Any insight?

directory
01-30-2006, 03:18 PM
that is an amazing array of issues...

do you by any chance have a trailor wire harness attached in the back?

amigo-2k
01-30-2006, 05:54 PM
What is the history on the battery and alt?

Isuzu's do strange thing when the voltage is out of wack.

jetset45
01-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Hello all and thanks for replying.

Yes I do have a trailer wire harness.
I have not changed the alternator or battery since I purchased the vehicle in 2000. After driving the vehicle today, it happened again. I drove for about 30 miles and no problem. I shutdown the engine and went into a store. When I came out five minutes later, the problem started again just as originally described. It seems to me that it definitely happens after the engine is warm and only after I shutdown the engine. What I mean by that is if I drive the car after it is been shutdown for a few hours and completely cool I could drive for hours without the problem occuring, however, if I stop somewhere and shutdown the engine, when I start it up again the problem occurs again and continuosly.

I called my local dealer. They said that they had never heard of such a problem.

I will test the alternator and battery and check my trailer wire harness just in case. Ill let you know what happens.

It seems that someone has had the exact problem as I had, however his was a 2001 model. The post was two years old and he never wrote back to tell us what the fix was.

Ramblin Fever
01-31-2006, 01:16 AM
Unplug your trailer harness and just toss it into the storage compartment in the back - TRUST me these things can cause weird issues if they decide to short out or just go bad.

Sounds like the truck goes into a safe mode and kills the power; definitely check the Bat and alternator UNDER load.

Bet one of them's getting weak.

Or you could also just have a weak connection; look at all your grounds, including any wiring going to the tranny.

rodeo02
01-31-2006, 08:29 AM
Might be a failing alternator. It sounds like it's working enough to keep your battery charged (truck always starts), but if you are getting blips of less than 14VDC on the fly, all sorts of weird electrical things happen. Second guess would be a break in one of the under-hood electrical harnesses. If that's the case, you have pull at one wire at a time per bundle until you find the one that breaks.:banghead:

Joel

jetset45
01-31-2006, 04:55 PM
Thanks everybody

I will disconnect the trailer harness and check the battery and alternator.
By the way. So much for my theory about the problem only happening when
the engine gets warm. This morning the car shutdown three times right from
a coldstart, and then it happened a few blocks out, and then the car was fine for the next 20 miles. I will perform the checks this evening.

rodeo02
01-31-2006, 07:32 PM
Does it stall only at idle or when slowing to a stop? Could be a bad intake manifold gasket if that's the case.

Joel

jetset45
01-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Hi Joel

Yes it stalls at idle and also at slow speeds but never during highway driving.
It really started acting up today and kept on stalling whenever the brake pedal was depressed.

amigo-2k
01-31-2006, 10:45 PM
yup it sounds like a bad IMG. If you are the orginal owner it is covered for 10yr/120k.

dropsnout
02-01-2006, 07:54 AM
sounds like a engine harness issue, you will have totear the harness apart and trace the wires.It may be in the part of the harness near the air box look for a splice for the power feed.

jetset45
02-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Hi All
Today, I removed my trailer harness and ran a check on the battery and alternator. The alternator and battery were OK. I then drove the car, and it worked flawlessly for about 50 miles. After I stopped to get gasoline and restarted again, the engine shutdown. Thereafter, it shut down on me about 7 times. Just to recap I get a check transmission and cruise set light on my dashboard, the transmission starts to shift differently, and the engine shutsdown. I will eventually open up the wire harnesses, however, externally they look like they are intact and in excellent shape.

jetset45
02-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Latest Update

I drove the car forever yesterday in both the city and highway, stoping to shop at several locations;the car worked flawlessly.
Then at the end of the journey, I drove to my mailbox, shutdown the engine, and when I restarted again the problem was back.

Based on yesterdays performance, I am ruling out IMG problems. I dont think its a wire harness issue either.

I have not had the time to tinker with the car lately, but once I have discovered the cause I will let everyone know. Till then any help would be appreciated.

SMOKYHIKER
03-12-2006, 09:44 PM
My Check trans and set cruise light periodically comes on too. This has been happening to my 2001 since new. The dealer could not find anything wrong, I took it in twice. This only happens once every few months. The engine sputters and stalls, then when I restart everything is OK. After all of these years I've just gotten used to it. (I don't have the tow package, and have never messed with any wiring on the car) I still don't know why it does this.

Jas75_2000
03-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Hello,
I have a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo, with the exact same problem. It started with my gas light coming on and flashing. This started usually when I was at an incline. Then it moved in my Cruise ligt coming on, then onto my Check trans light. The car started dying on me when I would make a turn. I took it to a shop, and they seem to think that the whole wire harness has to be replaced. Seems that one of the wires was rubbing against my radiator, and melting it. No news as of yet if its gone into the main computer. This seems to be a problem that many are having with either the fuel light coming on or the cruise just popping up. Any news as to what Isuzu is doing to rectify this?

jetset45
03-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

I really have not had time to work on my Rodeo as my Honda Civic 2000

blew a head gasket and I had the engine reworked at the machine shop.

Anyway, on the Isuzu, I tried the trailer wire harness, no change. I looked

at all the electrical connections, nothing unusual. I tried switching relays for

the ECM, no change. However, recently the problem seems to have gone

away. The problem has not reocurred for two weeks. I will dedicate next

week to working on the problem if it comes back. I will let you know if I find a

solution.

I appreciate everyones input.

jetset45
06-14-2006, 11:07 PM
Problem fixed.. It was simply the sparkplugs. I went to the dealer and they told me that this is a common problem. The isuzu is alergic to certain types of sparkplugs, such as Bosch Platinum and Autolite. They told me to replace the sparkplugs with Denso's. I replaced them and I have not seen the problem return since.

Ramblin Fever
06-15-2006, 01:07 AM
Did we tell you these trucks are WEIRD?? :cwm27:

rodeo4me
06-15-2006, 09:42 AM
I would disable cruise control by removing fuse if their is any.

sam_123
06-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Iam having the same problem on my isuzu 2000, every time I go over a pump or a hole in street, the trans light and cruise light flashes for litle and then car power turns of , so I put it in N and turn on again and keep drining. It sucks, I just changed fuel pump , thought it will solve the problem, but it didnt. I hear about the wire harness but cant see anything unusual. please help

Add your comment to this topic!