Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 camry aftermarket air filter problem

lengnoou
01-30-2006, 11:47 AM
i put on an aftermarket air filter thats stainless steel and not that cotton fiber stuff onto my camry and when i drive it with it on, the engine shakes as if there is no air coming into the engine at all from the air filter. the brand is i think cp racing or something like that and its a stainless steel cone air filter. the idle drops dramitcally as well, why would this effect my engine and if i get a different brand, like an AEM would it effect the performance of my car at all?

Mike Gerber
01-30-2006, 03:31 PM
i put on an aftermarket air filter thats stainless steel and not that cotton fiber stuff onto my camry and when i drive it with it on, the engine shakes as if there is no air coming into the engine at all from the air filter. the brand is i think cp racing or something like that and its a stainless steel cone air filter. the idle drops dramitcally as well, why would this effect my engine and if i get a different brand, like an AEM would it effect the performance of my car at all?

Did you remove any sensors or other plumbing to install this filter? If you did, I would return everything to stock condition. If nothing was removed, I would then check thoroughly for vacuum leaks. A leak may have been created by moving things around to install the filter. Check all vacuum lines, especailly the big tube leading to the throttle body. If you don't find any vacuum leaks, I would reinstall the old filter, if you still have it around, and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you know that aftermarket cone filter was the problem.

Mike

Add your comment to this topic!