Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

misfire

discoveryman_2000
01-30-2006, 02:35 AM
Hello I own a 98 crown vic police modle and i am having a problem with what the computer says is a misfire in cyl 7...I have checked the injectors and changed the plugs....i have spark and fuel and no idea why this is happining....i had a problem with the plastic intake having a crack in the water part but and had to fix along side the road with plastic fusion gel similar to jb weld but for plastic.....could that have contributed to my latest problem and how do i fix the problem...i do not make enough money to take it to a shop or dealer.....please help with advise if you can this is my familys only transportation right now and money is tight.....thank you very much

brooks1018
05-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Hi, just found the forum today and have the same code on a '97 P71. Hope you've solvedd your problem by now and would be interested in what it was.
Thanks!

Hello I own a 98 crown vic police modle and i am having a problem with what the computer says is a misfire in cyl 7...I have checked the injectors and changed the plugs....i have spark and fuel and no idea why this is happining....i had a problem with the plastic intake having a crack in the water part but and had to fix along side the road with plastic fusion gel similar to jb weld but for plastic.....could that have contributed to my latest problem and how do i fix the problem...i do not make enough money to take it to a shop or dealer.....please help with advise if you can this is my familys only transportation right now and money is tight.....thank you very much

way2old
05-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Remove the coil to the missing cylinder and look closely at the plug boot. It just pulls off the coil. If you see any white marks, it means the spark is going through the boot to the head and not through the plug. Also look for cracks on the bottom of boot, or a mushy feel. Common problem on this engine. Also the antifreeze could have shorted out the coil causing it not to fire properly.

discoveryman_2000
05-31-2006, 12:15 PM
I replaced the coil to the cyl that reads the misfire and changed the plugs.....still no change...the computer reads misfire on cyl 7....it seems as if its not getting enough fuel...befor it misfires it kind of ligs a little and surges but if i give it more fuel or drop into passing gear it doesnt lack any power....could it be a fuel pressure prob?i also replaced the fuel filter.i know its a simple problem but i dont have alot of experiance on the newer vehicles...

way2old
05-31-2006, 12:42 PM
I don't think it is a fuel pressure problem, maybe a delivery problem from the injector on #7. They are fairly easily swapped, so move the injector from #7 to another cylinder to see if the miss follows.

Add your comment to this topic!