Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

E36 Convertible Power Windows

stressman4
01-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Does anyone know that on a 1994 325I convertible power windows when you open a door the power windows automatically retract a small amount to clear the top when its closed. Dos anyone know what controls this feature?? I have a problem on my drivers door, where this feature does not work and it catches the top when the door is closed with the windows up. Any fix recommendations??

thanks.

OKCSuburban
01-30-2006, 10:50 AM
Check your micro switches on the door strike on the body. On mine there are microswitches on the door strike made of plastic. Over time mine have worn to the point to where they no longer work as they should.

Temp fix, I used a small strip of elec tape and it gave me the thickness make the switch work again.

I have ordered new parts thur bavauto dot com. I have yet to install the new switches, removal of the rear seat and side pannels will be in order.

If this does not work it could be your window controller.... Dealer might have to do this one.

Best of Luck.

stressman4
02-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the info, but I do not see any microswitches near the door striker(on the body side). The door striker appears to be a solid plastic piece only. I checked both on the door and the body side of the car. Any other suggestions??

OKCSuburban
02-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Hmmm,
Well if they are not in the door strike mounted on the body of the car then they are in the door latch in the door. I noticed they used a little wedge at the tint shop the other day when they were working on my window to fix the tint.
Have you tried to manually operate the passenger side, you might be able to close the latch and operate the window switch.
Check with you local BMW shop or with the local BMWCCA chapter. The Roundel has a list of repair shops.
Do you have a Bentley Repair Manual?

Best of luck

Add your comment to this topic!