Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Which brand of oil and weight to use

cubs06
01-29-2006, 07:38 AM
Hi all!! I was wondering what brand of oil would be best in a 95 rodeo 3.2 4x4? What would be best, 10w30, 10w40, 5w30, 5w40 etc?? Any advice would be appreciated! What is a good engine flush? I hear alot about this seafoam stuff. Do you simply add seafoam where you add oil in the valve cover? I see that you can use seafoam in alot of different places. Thanks again!!

surferfletch
01-29-2006, 08:17 AM
I use 10w-30. Did you get the timing belt swapped out OK?

cubs06
01-29-2006, 08:26 AM
I use 10w-30. Did you get the timing belt swapped out OK? Yes I did! Thank you for all your time and help!! I originally had a problem with the engine missing so I replaced the plugs and wires and that didnt help so I replaced the timing belt, tensioner assy., hyd. push rod, and idler wheel. Still missing. i gave up and tooki it to a shop and they said the ignition module was bad and that my injectors need cleaning and or replaced. So Im going to replace the ignition module today and go from there. Have you ever used seafoam before for a engine flush? If so how do you use it? What brand of oil?? Thanks again!!

rodeo02
01-29-2006, 12:16 PM
The 1992-1997 3.2's do very well on 30wt variants. When does your truck miss? I am VERY leary of "fuel injector cleaning" as this is rarely needed. I've not heard of an ignition module going bad on a zu either. I'd check for vacuum leaks first, a typical cause for a constant miss on a 3.2L is the valve timing is off. If one of the sprockets skips a tooth or two, it will throw the vlv timing off.

Joel

surferfletch
01-29-2006, 01:06 PM
I gave up and took it to a shop and they said the ignition module was bad and that my injectors need cleaning and or replaced. So Im going to replace the ignition module today and go from there.

I feel your pain. I have a VW Jetta which was missing. After changing the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, I still had the miss. $400 later, the shop had it diagnosed and fixed...ignition coil. Still miffed that I didn't consider that last part of the ignition system.

Ramblin Fever
01-29-2006, 09:16 PM
I would use 10w-30 yr round, unless your winters are steadily between below 0 and 20F - if so, I would then switch to 5w-30 for winter.

I'm not fond of using engine flushes, I believe they can cause more issues.

If you're in need of cleaning out the internals of an engine, you can either change your oil at shorter intervals for a while, or try a heavy duty detergent oil, i.e Rotella synthetic 5w-40 rated for gasoline and diesel oils.

I used Havoline 10w-30 regular oil for 139k miles; then ran a few rounds of Rotella synthetic; and now I'm back to Havoline, running the 5w-30 Havoline Blend now. But in the next month, will switch to the 10w-30 Havoline Blend.

For the fuel injectors, simply run a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner every 5-6k miles or so. I don't believe a special cleaning is needed; but rather maybe a good highway drive of 2-3hrs.

dagumol
03-25-2006, 10:59 AM
carefully check all vaccum lines.

ogfooman
03-31-2006, 03:36 PM
If one of your coil packs is going bad (one of mine did awhile ago) it will throw a cel at you and tell you which cylinder. Pull the code.
Fuel injector cleaner can be a big help on older vehicles, but you cant use the crappy 5 dollar stuff. Get BG-44k from napa, and techron is decent too. BG-44k stuff worked great on mine.

Add your comment to this topic!