Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Carburator question

doopeej
01-28-2006, 07:10 PM
I just bought a 74 Beetle.It has been sitting over the last 6 months.I can get it to start and it seems to run pretty well until the engine warms up and then it sputters and dies.I noticed that while it is running,if I keep the choke on,it stays idleing,then once I release the choke manually it sputters and then dies.Anybody out there have any ideas.Possibly just needs carb. adjusted?

guitarman111
03-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Could be a number of things. If you left gas in it, sitting 6 months can cause additional options because gas will go bad after a time and gum up your fuel system:

- carb needs adj
- float valve, could be full of gunk, clean carb and pull valve blow it out
- outlet from gas tank has crud. You may get enough gas a low speed
but it may not be enough at full trottle also change filter
- fuel pump fouled
-water in fuel (condensation)
I would go through thr fuel system starting with the above. Never store car with gas in it for more than a couple of months.

BoatCop
03-26-2006, 08:49 AM
Start simple.

Check the idle cut-off valve. It's the round thing on the left side of the carb, with a wire coming from the coil. Make sure the wire is hooked up to the + side of the coil. To test it, turn the key on (engine off) remove the wire and touch it to its terminal. You should be able to hear and feel it "click".

The valve is to prevent "run-on" when the engine is shut of, by closing off fuel to the idle circuit. If its faulty or hooked up incorrectly the car won't idle. It runs with the choke closed due to increased vacuum pulling in more fuel through the primaries, overcoming the idle circuit.

Add your comment to this topic!