Page updated on 04-21-2018

Engine Movement?

Loekee75
01-28-2006, 08:16 AM
About a year and a half ago My 92' Park Avenue had a very noticeable lurch during hard take-off and while merging on the expressway. I checked it out and found that the motor mounts were obviously shot. With the hood open I had my dad shift to reverse, back to drive, to park then to 3rd,..and back- the engine literally rocked a good 2 1/2 to 3 inches back and forth, esp. when shifting to reverse and back to park. I had both engine mounts replaced, and the problem was fixed! The car ran great, and still does, however I noticed what seems to be the engine starting to move again. We checked it out, and it's moving the same way it did just before we replaced the mounts, except this time it's not nearly as severe. It moves about 2 inches to the side when the tranny is engaged from park. My question is, is this a "normal" amount of engine movement? Does anyone else have any engine movement, esp. after having changed the mounts? I always thought there'd have to be at least a little sway, but after watching a friend of mine shifting his 94' V6 Camaro with absolutely NO engine movement at all, it made me wonder. Thanks in advance for any input!

DetroitMuscle
01-28-2006, 08:38 AM
did you change all the motor mounts? and tranny mount too?
I do believe 1-2" of travel under load is acceptable.

Loekee75
01-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Both motor mounts were replaced, however tranny mounts were not..that's something for me to look into, thanks!

wrightz28
02-01-2006, 11:44 AM
kind of not a fair comparison with the Camaro because of driveline orientation.

If your's dosen't have the torque braces, they caould be added in.

Cntrysthbst
02-03-2006, 05:06 PM
There's braces? I have same problems with the mounts as Loekee, they just don't seem to hold up. I was thinking of a way to help support the engine but didn't get far. Where can you get these support braces?

wrightz28
02-06-2006, 11:07 AM
A junked newer series II.

Cntrysthbst
02-08-2006, 03:51 AM
Thanks. Will look into that. :wink:

Add your comment to this topic!