Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

??? PCV Valve and Filter ???

brianatccm
01-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Today, I put on my new intake filter w/ an Air Flow Meter adapter. During the installation I noticed a small filter in the bottom of the air box. I unscrewed the airbox and removed it, disconnecting the hose that connected to where the filter would be. The filter is currently between the hose the adapter just for now. However, I am was curious as to what this hose went to. I followed it and I believe it goes to the top of the valve cover. I have a 1.9L and there is a hose that comes off the right top of it (thats the hose).

What does this hose do and why does it lead to the PCV filter?

What is a PCV valve and PCV filter?

Should I re-install the bottom of the air clearer box and buy a new PCV filter?
(the current one is really oily)

Thank you ahead of time.

-Brian

GTP Dad
01-28-2006, 11:15 AM
The PCV valve allows air to flow into and out of the engine based on the vacuum of the engine. At one time before PCV valves the fumes such as oil smoke were vented back into the atmosphere. When the PCV came into being these fumes were returned to the intake air to be reburned thus decreasing emissions. That filter cleans a lot of contaminants from this air stream before it goes back into the engine. This filter is important for engine life and should be changed every time you change the oil filter.

brianatccm
01-28-2006, 11:42 AM
How should I go about using the PCV filter?

Should I reinstall the bottom of the air box to just have space for the filter?
Even thought I just bought an intake, does the air still have to flow into the intake?

If I was to cap off the hose to the filter, would it be bad for my emissions or engine?

I should go buy a new PCV filter because mine is BLACK and GUEY. lol
I'll check my PCV Valve sometime this week.

Thank you GTP Dad and if anyone has anymore tips, suggestions, or information; please feel free to post.

-Brian

GTP Dad
01-28-2006, 06:44 PM
I would buy a new filter and install it on the end of the pipe. Mount it somewhere that it will not get contaminated. If you put an intake on it you may have trouble finding a place to install it in the air stream. The PCV valve is essential to the proper operation of the engine and needs to be on otherwise you may have drivability problems.

brianatccm
01-28-2006, 08:34 PM
GTP Dad:

What do you mean by contaminated?

Has the PCV system been broken since it doesn't return the air to the engine? Does this harm emissions?

The car seems to drive fine.....but will it hurt me when I have my inspection next year?

-Brian

Add your comment to this topic!