Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to Check engine failure codes on 1996 Cirrus

jose_a_jimenez
01-27-2006, 09:31 PM
How can I check the engine fault codes on my 1996 Cirrus? I try turning on and off the key but it did not work. And the Check Engine is on and I would like to know what fault is.

rsublime4life
01-31-2006, 03:47 PM
Go down to your loacl auto parts store and rent a diagnostic tool. they will charge you a refundable deposit. plug it in and find out what codes its throwing. This is the same things a mechanic charges you $100 to do and its free!

rolnaldo33
02-04-2006, 05:04 PM
easy way to check, turn the key back and forth 5 times, don't crank the engine just turn it to the on posision. the service engine light will blink. count the number of times it blinks, it will blink x number of times, that will be the first diget...pause and then bliink x number of times again, thats the second diget. there will be a long pause between numbers. record the numbers and look up the diagnostic codes on the internet. they will tell you what each number means.

kplusten
02-20-2006, 05:50 AM
Where I live in VA, Auto Zone will hook up their diagnostic tester for free, and tell you what the code is. Their interest is to sell you the part you need if they have it, but it sure beats the $70 charge the dealer wanted for the same 5 minutes of work.

Add your comment to this topic!