Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

p71 wont start

goody54
01-27-2006, 08:37 PM
help!! i have a 2000 p71 i have gas pressure and still no start,,looked for fusable links that may have burnt but cant find any anywhere.tested fuel pump and all is working fine. i dont think im getting spark:banghead: any ideas as to what could be causing this and what i can do to test or fix this would be very helpful. thanks

peppermrj
01-28-2006, 07:00 PM
First check for spark. Check your ignition fuses. What type of ignition system? Two coils or eight?

peppermrj
01-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Here is a link to an ignition system for a 98. It will give you an idea of the components involved if it is not your exact setup. Post back.
http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/17/26/32/0900823d80172632.jsp

goody54
01-28-2006, 07:11 PM
First check for spark. Check your ignition fuses. What type of ignition system? Two coils or eight?i have the 8 coil pack system,,,,checked all fuses and all are ok....couldnt find all fusable links to see if that was it

peppermrj
01-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Do you have spark? Check several plugs.

p71
01-28-2006, 07:52 PM
i'm having that sort of issues 2. i had 3 bad coil packs. still have a rough running motor. checked EVERYTHING! i have a 2000 cvic p71 with 195k. peppermrj; what is the truth on the learning curve of the pcm? it has been hard reset. how many miles for it to learn?

p71
01-28-2006, 07:57 PM
i also have a 2000 p71 vic. had 3 bad coil packs. still not running smooth. checked everything, replaced iac/harness/filters/pump/3 coils/plugs. have p0453 code-evap ecs press sensor high?? any help?? can't figure out where it is.

peppermrj
01-28-2006, 07:58 PM
i'm having that sort of issues 2. i had 3 bad coil packs. still have a rough running motor. checked EVERYTHING! i have a 2000 cvic p71 with 195k. peppermrj; what is the truth on the learning curve of the pcm? it has been hard reset. how many miles for it to learn?

Wish I knew for sure. It does take some time tho. There are several cylces it must go thru. Have you cleaned/checked your EGR?

p71
01-28-2006, 08:06 PM
not yet. did pull the egr valve. it was ok. used lots of cleaner on tb, etc. has a backfire when floored while driving. only when kicked down/ high rpm. idles rough, but consistent. no stalling. i'm worried about injectors. a pain to check. last resort.

Stevo2
01-29-2006, 12:47 PM
not yet. did pull the egr valve. it was ok. used lots of cleaner on tb, etc. has a backfire when floored while driving. only when kicked down/ high rpm. idles rough, but consistent. no stalling. i'm worried about injectors. a pain to check. last resort.

Have you pulled the error codes off the computer? Try running a can of SeaFoam throught the engine/gas tank it's worth the $6. Can get it at NAPA/Carquest. www.seafoamsales.com

p71
01-29-2006, 03:15 PM
the only code left is p0453. don't know what or where it is. cleaned injector/fuel system well, and changed all filters & pump. coils/plugs too.iac is new. even gave it a bath and a hug. still no improvement.

p71
02-07-2006, 12:45 PM
update: after a week of driving(200+ miles) still not much better. a little maybe. does not backfire now. i'm still suspecting weak coils. perhaps a thermal breakdown? still only the above fault code. still don't know what it is. even tried a different set of mufflers. no difference. my cats are hollow. now runs fair under harsh acceleration, but poor idle. ideas??:screwy:

mtmaurer8ooo
02-07-2006, 01:56 PM
FYI - I don't know if you know p71, but your P0453 code says Fuel Tank Pressure Signal circuit Input above maximum. I don't know exactly what that translates too but it sounds to me like you may have some evap system problems. Check the evap canister vent solenoid(purge valve)...it may be malfunctioning. Also, I don't know too much about these crown vics but its my understanding that they do have some issues w/ intake gaskets, so she may be sucking air also. Just a couple things to check out. Let us know what you find. M

cobradude360
02-07-2006, 02:14 PM
have u tryed a mass airflow clean ans also the seafoam is an awsome product ive used it in my cars plus friends cars its awsome heres some links
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00151.html
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00059.html

p71
02-07-2006, 03:15 PM
HERE'S THE "ACTRON" DEFINITION OF THE CODE p0453:
"EVAP EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM PRES SENSOR HIGH"

between that and yours, it seems to point to the sensor's reading being too high. ...or is that "ford" for a high supply voltage to the sensor...or is that a logic high when the pcm expects a logic low/voltage below x volts????

i did fix the connector on the module under the tank. it had been ripped off. had some other code with that; but after i fixed it, code went away. this one was there all along.:screwy:
any tips for the purge valve testing/cleaning? i'm not familiar with doing that. i am gathering that it is the module under the trunk.
i have not thoroughly cleaned the maf yet, but will today. can't find any air leaks or vacum issues.
why don't fords come with ctrl/alt/del??:shakehead

p71
06-11-2006, 10:30 PM
well; i'm back to changing coil packs (cop) again. why do these 4.6's eat coils so much? this is the fourth one now. i understand it has high miles, but still.

p71
06-11-2006, 10:34 PM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

radioman2002
06-12-2006, 07:37 AM
First you need to fix the COP's problems, my way of testing and fixing is to take one COP at a time, install it into the #1 cylinder position, (easiest to install and remove). Start with COP not plugged into to spark plug hole, I take a screwdriver and shove down coil boot and make sure I get at least 1 in of spark to ground, when running. Also check the boot for cracks or spark leakage when running. Now you mentioned possible failure when hot, I also have found that to occur, but first check all when cold then move on to when hot. Don't run car too long without COP on spark plug. It may sound dumb but have you checked the plugs? And their gap?
Now if after you clear the COP problem and car still runs rough, since the engine has 195k on it, I would do a compression test on all cylinders, they all should be within 20 psi of each other. With that high of a mileage, you can expect the compression to be around 80-100 psi.
Now to a shot in the dark, which just happened to the "99" I am working on now. The main 12V power wire to the PCM corroded and was not getting 12V to the PCM all the time. of course, the break was all the way down at the bulkhead connector, down behind the cruise motor. That is possibly the reason the engine on this car went bad.

p71
06-12-2006, 01:47 PM
yeah i think i'll check them all again today. plugs are new platinums, all are good. bulkhead conn at the driver side firewall, under brake booster is my next thought. i'll use antioxidant grease on it, and clean. i've used elec tape on all boots on coils. note:watch out when spraying motor with water....the boots leak when old and fill plug cavity with water; thus fouled coil. maybe some silicon goo???

the cop coils are seemingly consistent. i move them to new holes, and the problem follows. maybe they are all wearing out at the same time.(195k after all) still, it's getting old.

radioman2002
06-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Electrical tape will not hold up to the 30-50k Volts the coil puts out. If you get water down the plug hole, remove all the plugs, hit the fuel cutoff switch in the trunk, (disables fuel pump) and then crank the engine for about 30 seconds to get the water out. As far as the connector, I was able to find that my computer wasn't getting 12v. That what you should be checking for, before you start messing with the connectors, they get brittle when old and can break.

p71
07-18-2006, 01:46 AM
yeah i know it won't hold back 50kv, but it will show very clearly if/where they may leak through.(they don't) as for the water, just around outside of plug. paper towell, heat engine up, and it's gone. wiring...i have a brand new ford factory harness, and i checked it, and added extra antiox paste. if nothing else, they won't get wet. i am concluding that the springs in the coil packs are the weak link. piss-poor designing from ford here. needs a flat stock contact instead of springs. i stretched them all, and antioxed them too. not as bad most of the time. now it's a/c time. i will monitor the pcm voltage from time to time, and see where that gets me. so far it's ok. i luv fords. :licka:

Add your comment to this topic!