Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 Roadmaster, antifreeze smell

bcla634
01-27-2006, 08:20 PM
Over the last week/two I've been occasionally smelling antifreeze when driving. I have a very slight leak around the waterpump; there is no leakage on the driveway. I'm not sure if that's the cause or possibly the heater core. How would I check or should I just ask the dealership to inspect the heater? Also, what would be a rough price range. Any information would be appreciated. thanks.

'97ventureowner
01-28-2006, 09:48 PM
First off, with a vehicle 10 years old such as yours, I wouldn't take it to the dealer as they usually are more expensive in costs for repairs. Ask your relatives, friends, or neighbors for recommendations of mechanics or garages in your area. You might want to check a radiator repair shop in your area that specializes in cooling systems. They, along with most garages can perform a pressure test on your cooling system to detect any leaks in the system.

kharr
11-20-2007, 10:44 AM
I Was Trying To Figure Out How To Start A New Question On This Forum, Until I Saw This Old One, Which Is My Problem, I Have A 95 Roadmaster And Am Smelling Antifreeze Also, I Believe Its My Heater Core, And Have Been Told That You May Have To Bleed Off Your A/c To Fix This. Is This True? And How Much Trouble Is It To Replace The Heater Core In These?
Do We Just Click On The Quote Button To Get A Question Going?

'97ventureowner
11-20-2007, 12:42 PM
I Was Trying To Figure Out How To Start A New Question On This Forum, Until I Saw This Old One, Which Is My Problem, I Have A 95 Roadmaster And Am Smelling Antifreeze Also, I Believe Its My Heater Core, And Have Been Told That You May Have To Bleed Off Your A/c To Fix This. Is This True? And How Much Trouble Is It To Replace The Heater Core In These?
Do We Just Click On The Quote Button To Get A Question Going?
To start a new question or topic just click on the blue box at the top left of the main forum page for Roadmaster marked "New Thread". I haven't heard about bleeding off the A/C to do the job. I did list the steps on R&R a heater core a couple of years ago. Here is the specific thread:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=495027 (scroll down to post #5). This appears to be a common issue in these cars. If you have any more question concerning this topic, feel free to start a new thread.

Add your comment to this topic!