Popping noise when turning steering wheel

spider03
01-27-2006, 01:54 AM
Someone please help. My car makes a popping noise coming from around the front tires area whenever i turn the wheel when i'm not moving. It also makes it when i'm turning into places with ramps or dips and even speed bumps. Does anyone know what this is. If anyone can help i would appreciate it. Also how much it would cost to fix. Thank you.

KX2000GTP
01-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Sounds like CV Axles are going out.

Not sure about prices on an install, I did mine DIY on my '93 eclipse.

akersar
01-27-2006, 07:47 AM
I had a similar issue on my 99 GT. I went through all these threads that said it could be this and that, and the other thing.

I replaced my tie rods, and haven't had the issue since. I say, start with the simple stuff.

Tie rods are easy to check. Just jack up one wheel at a time, grasp the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock, and try to move the wheel back and forth. If there is much play, you need tie rods.

Not a hard job if you have any mechanical skills whatsoever.

richtazz
01-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Definitely a steering/suspension issue. Most likely its one of three things.
bad outer tie rod
bad upper strut mount
bad hub bearing
Normally, when a CV axle goes out, it will pop and make a clicking noise when the car is in motion, and it's worse when weight is transferred to the wheel with the bad CV. This doesn't rule out a CV, just lowers it's probablility if it's not making noise while driving.
The only other thing I can think of is a lower ball joint, but they will ususally clunk while going over bumps before they will pop while turning.

spider03
01-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Well it also makes a clumping noise when going over ramps or speed bumps too fast. It feels like the wheels kind of come free somewhat. Does anyone have any idea how much the repair would cost? Thanks for all the info from everyone. It is very much appreciated.

Add your comment to this topic!