Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Ram 4x4 Turns over, wont start

jobartel
01-26-2006, 01:14 PM
I am trying to diagnose this but its difficult because its my sons in a another state. Less than a year ago, he replaced the fuel pump. Is there any way to diagnose if its the pump again without having to pull it again?

TurboDuck
01-26-2006, 10:14 PM
When you 1st turn the key to the "on" position, you should be able to hear the pump run for about (1) second. Sometimes it helps to have a friend turn it on while you stand by the tank and listen. You'll get about 2 shots at it, after the second time you turn the key on, the pump won't cycle again until you crank it. Another way to tell is to find the pressure test point on the fuel rail, and push the center pin. (It sorta looks like a big tire valve) If fuel sprays out, then your pump is at least working.

Good Luck.

jobartel
01-27-2006, 08:19 AM
That checks out. He hears the pump and we have fuel at the fuel rail.

We also pulled a plug and have spark. Does this truck have a timing belt or gears? It has less than 100k miles so if it has a belt, could it have jumped time?

TurboDuck
01-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Should be a timing chain on the 5.2 / 5.9. Yes it could have jumped time, or possibly a bad crank or cam sensor. But, I would think that if either of the sensors were bad, you wouldn't get any spark.

Unfortunately I don't have enough troubleshooting experience on those to be of much more help. So far, mine have always just ran. (Knock on wood!)

It may be a PCM (computer) prob. - My son's caravan recently did have a bad fuel pump, but even though it had spark, it would not fire even while spraying ether (starting fluid) directly into the throttle body. After we replaced the pump, it fired right up. Somehow, the PCM was preventing it from starting because it didn't have fuel pressure.

Maybe you don't have enough pressure. (Just guessing here.)

Anyone else?????

Stevo2
01-28-2006, 12:47 AM
I am trying to diagnose this but its difficult because its my sons in a another state. Less than a year ago, he replaced the fuel pump. Is there any way to diagnose if its the pump again without having to pull it again?

Try a shot of starting fluid in the throttle body and see if it starts for a bit. If it does than you probably have good spark but no fuel. I would guess cam sensor. Can you have someone scan the computer for error codes?

wafrederick
01-28-2006, 10:29 AM
It might be the crank sensor and it is a pain to change.Thank the the dumb engineer for that, back of the right side of the block in the back.Does it have spark?

BleedDodge
01-28-2006, 10:05 PM
Cat converter!

jobartel
02-03-2006, 07:22 AM
We have taken it to the shop but they have not been able to find it. For some reason it is not getting gas. They checked the pump and its fine. I will post the final reason for the issue...

tony36
02-23-2006, 11:13 PM
I have 99 1500 5.2 just changed out fuel pump. It took alot of starting fluid for about an hour to get it going again and then it died three or four times after that, but haven't had anymore problems since then.

lovemyfreakingtruc
02-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Sure.... Just connect a fuel gage to the fuel rail, and it doesn't need to be running. The reading will only be there momentarly but you can get a reading. USE CAUTION!!! Another thing you want to look at is the battery temp sensor. Mine had a cod of P1492 which is Battery Temperature Sensor voltage Too High. Good Luck!

Add your comment to this topic!