Page updated on 04-24-2018

Car Dies Right after Starting It

skiboy5250
01-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Hi, I have a 1996 Park Ave, I has been driving fairly well recently but has has a couple of problems. The first is that it drove to work yesterday just fine with no problems. Well as I went to go home it wouldnt start without giving it some gas and as soon as it started if I let off the gas it would die. It did that for most of the way home. But soon as I pulled in the driveway it didnt die as I let it idle. If anyone knows what this could possible be it would be greatly aprreicated. The second one is that after letting my car sit without driving it a couple day here in mn in the cold it wont start without jumping it in morning. I know that sounds pretty normal but when i do just try starting it on those cold days its like the battery barely turns over and does for about 3 sec and then is pretty much completly dead. Well hopefully someone is able to help me with either of the problems. thanks

wrightz28
01-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Bith of your problems may be intertwinded as a chargining system problem.

skiboy5250
01-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Yah Is there anything you would recommend checking myself on that. I would like to tell you a little something else that might help with diagnosing it. Back about a year ago I had a friend put a remote starter in it. It work fine up until mid summer when my car's battery would dye pretty much overnight. Well after many times to the mechanic shop and them not figuring anything out I unplug the brain of the remote starter. The car has not died since until this winter. Not sure if that would be related or not. All the wires to the remote starter are still hooked up so not sure if it is shorting out or not. If anyone has any ideas it would be great. Thanks.

wrightz28
01-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Well, first off, how old is the battrey?

Second, you could hook an ammeter in line off the battery (negative preferred) to determine any parasitic draw by the remote system or anyother for that matter. There will be some draw by the PCm/BCM memory, so you won't see a 0 amp reading. I want to say somewhere around .250 amps?

skiboy5250
01-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Well the battery isnt to old but i have thought about replacing it just to elminate that forusre. I did purchase new plugs, wires, and fuel filter today to hopefully help with any porblems that it could have related or not to the starting problems it was time for those to get replaced.

Add your comment to this topic!