Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rodeo needs a weight-loss plan

Ramblin Fever
01-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Three items caused the extra weight gain -

32" tires :grinyes:; Manik brushguard :screwy:; Loadwarrior luggage rack:p

Two items are optional for removal -

Loadwarrior rack w/extension (puts up a heck of a wind tunnel too)

Brushguard (primarily for looks, doesn't really protect front end), am only keeping because of fog lights soon to be mounted.

I have no idea, really, what either of these weigh individually, but I do know that the rack can be easily removed and stored, not using it this time of year anyway.

But, can people advise me, aside from the size of tires, what causes more drag or worse mileage? The brushguard or the luggage rack??

amigo-2k
01-25-2006, 08:29 PM
the luggage rack.

rodeo02
01-26-2006, 06:11 AM
The roof rack probably has more surface area hanging out in the wind:icon16: . Going to stock sized tires would probably gain you better MPG. Nothing seems to help the rodeos much more than a couple MPG's either way anyhoo. If you can get hi teens to 20mpg you are doing great!

Joel

Cat Fuzz
01-26-2006, 09:08 AM
Ya wanna know how I'm saving gas ($)?

Subaru Justy. Only 3 cylinders and it weighs about as much as a cracker box. Gonna drive that to work and use the Rodeo less. I think I could toss that little thing into the back of my pickup.

directory
01-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Ya wanna know how I'm saving gas ($)?

Subaru Justy. Only 3 cylinders and it weighs about as much as a cracker box. Gonna drive that to work and use the Rodeo less. I think I could toss that little thing into the back of my pickup.

what's really nice about those, it saves a lot of gas-- when you get low...you just rub it on the carpet to charge it back up...:rofl: :rofl:

...this is only funny if you know what i'm talking about....:rolleyes:

directory
01-26-2006, 09:24 AM
But, can people advise me, aside from the size of tires, what causes more drag or worse mileage? The brushguard or the luggage rack??

that luggage rack drags you down a bit. thule makes a panel that mounts on the front that--sort of-- helps to deflect the wind up and over a little bit. but otherwise that thing is just a big kite sitting on top

..yeah, it's on my "to purchase" list....:iceslolan

rodeo02
01-26-2006, 09:27 AM
CF, my brother bought one of those brand new back around 1989. That was a neat little car. Carburated 3cyl, 5spd w/ 4x4. The "4x4" activation button was right on top of the shift knob. Was kind of rough to work on though. I remember you could not see the oil filter, you just had to contort your body and just feel for it!:uhoh:

Joel

Ramblin Fever
01-28-2006, 12:14 PM
Alrighty, luggage carrier is off - truck looks funny as I've had it on for over a year now.

I was surprized, that carrier must only weigh about 30-40# it wasn't heavy at all, just cumbersome.

Hopefully my MPG will go back up to at least 18; I could live with the 16mpg if that's what it's always gotten. But even when I put the 1st set of 32" tires on it 3yrs ago, it actually was getting 19mpg in city.

This 16mpg is a bit too heavy on my wallet - once in a while I understand, but not every tank.

marcre
01-28-2006, 05:26 PM
I just filled up yesterday and did the math, I got 15.05 MPG last tank. No 4x4 use either. I would love 16/17/18/19 MPG.

Good luck on your quest. You should take off the brushgaurd and see what kind of improvement that gives you in addition to the roof rack.

marc

Jay97Rodeo
01-30-2006, 11:42 AM
How do you remove the stock luggage rack ?
thnx

Canucklehead
01-30-2006, 12:05 PM
How do you remove the stock luggage rack ?
thnxYou can remove the cap at the end of each rail (one or two screws per side) and slide the load bar off of the rail.

directory
01-30-2006, 12:12 PM
you don't necessarily have to remove the bars completely. i think the owners manual says you can slide them to the very back to help reduce drag. just slide them to the back, and together, this will make them look like a wing and will help reduce some drag. plus they will be there when you need them.

marcre
01-30-2006, 12:58 PM
I've got a stupid question for you all. How do you use the roof rack? I mean, how do you attach things to it? What could I even cary up there? I've never had a roof rack, so I have no clue how to make things secure up there.

Marc

directory
01-30-2006, 02:05 PM
ussually bungee cords work, or any kind of ties.

i went out and purchased a canvas bag like item that totally encloses anything i would carry up there. it has buckles and straps on the four corners plus 2 straps that criss-cross across eachother. i put the bag in between the front and back bar and strap it down. holds anything i need, and kind of conforms to the wind a little--but not much--depending how full i make it.

my next purchase is a safari cage for up top...to hold running lights and to give my truck a cool new look....now where did i keep that $500????

Add your comment to this topic!