Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

McLaren F1-GTR Gulf 97 - help with colors

Loreti
01-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Hello to everyone - I am new to the forum and this is my first thread, so I am not sure if I am posting in the right place - please let me know if I'm wrong.

I am starting a ST27 McLaren F1-GTR Gulf 97 and have no good colors (or painting) references, so I would be grateful if someone could help.

Thanks and as soon as I begin it I will post the WIP here.

Loreti

hyobum
01-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Have you checked the referance archive??

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=260312

freakray
01-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Assuming you're building the longtail version?

THere are plenty of good references on the web for the Mclaren, also visit the Mclaren section of AF and look up Peleton, he's got tons of info and photos.

hyobum
01-25-2006, 10:17 PM
Assuming you're building the longtail version?

THere are plenty of good references on the web for the Mclaren, also visit the Mclaren section of AF and look up Peleton, he's got tons of info and photos.

Hehe, looks like Peleton is known for his Mclaren doings in this forum too. He's famous for his Mclaren knowledge on supercars.net too.

Vric
01-26-2006, 08:44 AM
I have few picture that could help you
http://motorsport.magietec.com/v/Lemans/F1GTR/

btw, the reference archive have about 80% of dead link. This is why I started mine.

ED59
01-26-2006, 02:57 PM
Here is my comments into instructions for my 1/43rd kit:

<<Colors: Sorry, impossible to give you the right reference for the blue, light metal, pearlized? For the metallic brown, some could be used:
Ford US garnet(ES) FD PE2/00C
Chrysler Black Cherry Pearl (FM9/PM9) CUS 332/00C
Rover Rich rasin (BLVC 917) ARG 800/00C
Toyota Imperial maron mica TOY 3H6>>

Metallic brown is on the sides, under dayglo orange stripes.

For the blue, I made a mix of light blue and pearl.

gionc
01-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Well, I'll tracking that: I have the FINA kind every from S27 and i'm really interested to see your updates.

Loreti
01-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the inputs and help on this. As someone said, there is not too many information on the web for this 97 version - I did a research in the McLaren area here in the AF and have had not too much success.

freakway - yes, it is the longtail version. I will try to contact Peleton to see if he has more information on this.

Vric - thanks for the link with the pictures, very nice with a lot of details - it is going to be helpful. As you can notice, there is not even one picture with the 97 Gulf exterior colors, only the 95's.

ED59 - Thanks for the info, I have already took a look at your 1/43 thread, and for my surprise saw that the colors you used were all metallic - I thought that the blue and brown were solid colors!

Well, I will countinue my search for more information on the exterior colors and will keep you posted with the WIP. If anyone out there has more information I would be grateful.

Regards, Loreti

jefriedman
01-29-2006, 05:14 AM
Hello,

Over on the GPMA Yahoo group there was a few weeks ago a long discussion about this very car. Etienne Dhont, the fellow who operates Renaissance models (and released a 1/43 kit of this car) was in on the conversation. A few pics went back and forth, but I don't think the pics are still there. I also am just starting this car, and I plan to do the entire thing with an airbrush -no kit decals. So the top stripe is neon orange, the Gulf blue is not traditional Gulf blue, it is pearl light blue. The sides are the color of Davidoff cigarette box. Do a web search for these cigarettes and you can see this box. It is very dark brown (looks black in most pics) and metallic red. Good luck.

Jerry Friedman

Loreti
02-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the hints - I will look forward the Davidoff colors as you suggested. I am also planning to do all the colors airbrushed, even the neon orange stripe as well - are you going to match the orange color of the Gulf logo decal that came with the kit? It seems to me that it should be a little darker, but would create a problem not matching the logo!

Just one more question: do you think this pearl light blue looks like the original Gulf blue but in a "pearl" version?

Thanks again for the help.

Regards,

Loreti

jefriedman
02-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Hello Loreti,

Now that you mention it, the orange does seem light, but I think it looks good and will really catch the eye. So I will definitely try to match the orange. And the light blue -I think you are right, it is the regular gulf blue with a pearl finish over it, so that's how I will go about it. The only modifications that I am thinking about are replacing the cast-in wheel locknuts with separate items (I have some Seimitsuya items that may work) and opening some ducts on the rear bodywork.

Regards,
Jerry

Add your comment to this topic!