91 Mirage 1.5l won't start

lionel
01-25-2006, 12:31 PM
91 Mirage 3D Hacth, MT, 72kmi.
engine stalled at idle. Was able to restart it while depressing accelerator pedal (wouldn't start otherwise) and drive it for a while. Engine seemed to run fine except it wouldn't hold idle and stall. Starting (while depressing pedal) the engine (hot) was possible.

Since then the engine has cool down and won't start (cold engine) at all. Ignition is there, fuel is at the injector, ECU has been replaced 6 mo ago. Any hints?

forgot to tell, it's a fuel injected 4G15 engine.

Thanks

evoryda
01-25-2006, 10:27 PM
CHECK THE IDLE AIR CONTROL.....that seems to be a big thing right now. and how about the starter, did it seem to be turnin over fine before the matter? or did it take a few times to crank and hows the alternator and battery.

lionel
01-26-2006, 04:15 AM
yes the engine was running and starting fine before.

The car is now at the dealership. They told me they found the distributor cap was cracked. Sounds weird to me that a cracked distributor cap would generate stalling, hot engine starting, no cold engine strating. The part isn't too expensive, so I told them to go ahead and replace it.

evoryda
01-31-2006, 10:38 PM
i could see stalling but not starting.... but thats why they get the BIG bux LOL

lionel
02-09-2006, 04:36 AM
you're right, it wasn't that, and they couldn't find the cause. I asked them to stop the diagnostic, they tried to charge me 300$+ for checking ignition, fuel, and catalytic converter, whereas I had only asked them for a diagnostic with the tester MUT.

After a few fax and a few days, I did get the car back and only paid for a flat doagnostic (with MUT) fee of 45$. They told me it's the dc servo idle motor, but I'll have to check iyt myself. I'll keep you updated.

lionel
02-13-2006, 08:28 AM
I got the car back and did a little bit of testing: ECU code indicates faulty motor position sensor and idle position switch.

Individual checks of motor position sensor, idle position switch and idle control servo show faulty components. I'll go ahead and replace them.

Add your comment to this topic!