Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Anygood Aftermarket Mods For A 98?????

Sully98
01-24-2006, 09:37 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good aftermarket mods, worth putting in to increase horsepower/torque. and also where i could buy them?
-Thanks Alot

graygoose
01-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Hey there isnt alot u can do to this car...but there is some. so far I got a cold air intake with a k&n filter you can get on Ebay just type in buick cold air intake. and I also got costom exausts just look for a mechanic that does mufflers. or a new smaller pulley I havent did that yet but u can get it at pulleyboys.com. and there might be a way to chip the car...but I havent found out yet

GotThatVibe
01-29-2006, 02:29 PM
I'm hoping you bought the supercharged engine, or you just shot yourself in the foot. Then again, if it is not SC, you should probably be able to SC it, just a matter of how hard/custom the job would be. I'll assume you have the SC'd engine.

(word of warning: my uncle has been working on these cars for years at a dealership and is STRONGLY against aftermarket mods for them. Some cars just don't deal with them well. Being a car enthusiast, he likes to have fun with cars, but not this one.)

Like he said, a new pulley (think it's the SC pulley, not sure) would increase your boost a bit. Apparently you can get this part off of a GTP. In fact, you are supposed to be able to snatch multiple performance parts from the GTP.

A custom air intake is almost required, its very easy and eliminates a bottleneck. I've seen the 9" K&N open element cone used, that would probably be your best choice. SMALL amount of custom work required to get that to work. If you have hands and eyes and like 2 tools you could probably do it.

Beyond that, redoing the exhaust is obvious. I took out the resonator in mine, and replaced the two mufflers with flo master super 40's. The sound is nice, though a little quieter than I would have liked. Performance gains (small) in the upper RPMs noticeable. I left the tiny diameter stock tubing on. Whether or not removing back pressure on this engine is a good thing or not, I'm not sure. Some engines basically require a certain amount to function properly. With my setup, it has been running fine for like 8k miles, rod bearings and plugs needing to be replaced in that time. There is somewhat often times a sputter as the RPMs fall that I'm not too fond of. Not sure what this may imply.

The most intriguing upgrade that I've heard of is putting on a bigger supercharger. I don't remember the model number of the stock one, but let's say it is "M-60". Apparently, there is an "M-90" (larger version, same line) that would also work with the stock engine. Aside from N20, thats probably your biggest gainer right there. Like I said, the model numbers I quote are just to get the point across, I am not certain of the actual names.

I'm pretty sure you can get headers for the Riv, also. Check around online.

This is all that comes to mind at the moment. I know it is mostly just leads, but that is all I can remember from doing my own research a couple years ago when I was in your position. I know how hard it is to find people modding/talking about Rivs, so I figured I'd offer you any info I could.

Add your comment to this topic!