Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

how did i do this?

fujiwara takumi
01-24-2006, 08:38 PM
little pin holes all over certain areas of the car, looks like perforation, almost like bubbles that popped and never filled in.

is this from spraying too thick?

if necessary ill try to get pics, but the car is still drying.

freakray
01-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Can be from spraying too thick, could also be from any number of other reasons.

Rather post photos if you can :)

blubaja
01-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Solvent pop. Did you clean the body thoroughly before you painted the color on it?

fujiwara takumi
01-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Solvent pop. Did you clean the body thoroughly before you painted the color on it?

before primer with soap, after sanding primer i rinsed.

fujiwara takumi
01-24-2006, 09:07 PM
pics:

http://beatmotorsports.com/racing/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=3174

gf is a paint chemist, says the ambient temps were too high causing the top layer to dry too quickly.

she says its craters, not solvent pop, caused by the primer not coalescing. i used model masters white primer with a model master black topcoat...

MidMazar
01-24-2006, 09:12 PM
looks to me like the the surface wasn't cleaned thoroughly, i dont think it was too thick of a coat. What temp was it?

fujiwara takumi
01-24-2006, 09:21 PM
looks to me like the the surface wasn't cleaned thoroughly, i dont think it was too thick of a coat. What temp was it?

under 80, maybe 75-78. i turned the radiator up in the room and left the model within about 8". it was not uncomfortably hot, just cooler than a heat lamp.

Asmenoth
01-25-2006, 01:13 AM
That happened to me once with a clear coat. A friend of mine told me that he was told it is caused by little bits of moisture getting caught between the layers. It evaporates and a crater is formed. Now I don't remember water misting in the air at the time, but it might have been due to humidity.

:D

20V_AE82
01-26-2006, 01:33 AM
Humidity causes this. Try spraying in a low humid area if possible. I always have my air con running when painting to help take the humidity out of the air. :wink:

Vric
01-26-2006, 08:29 AM
If you would use an airbrush, I would say you have water in your air, but in spray can... It could be humidity, or a too tick paint coat.

fujiwara takumi
01-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Humidity causes this. Try spraying in a low humid area if possible. I always have my air con running when painting to help take the humidity out of the air. :wink:

it's the middle of winter in wisconsin and i have electric baseboard heaters, i dont know the meaning of humidity.

im going to guess it was too thick. i sanded it out, buffed it, did a fresh topcoat of black that came otu really nice and cleared it. should be good now.

Martbee
01-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Too thick or too near from the surface. Happened to me 2 times on the same Miata ! Like a curse or something.

Raceman
01-26-2006, 07:27 PM
was the body cold and the paint warm when you painted?

Add your comment to this topic!