Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 regal, transmission problems

TheSilentChamber
01-24-2006, 07:08 PM
96 Regal Limited, 3800.

Was driving down the highway today, noticed smoke, but the temp was fine and I was only a few miles from home. So I got home, jack it up and get under it, noticed the extention (tailshaft) housing on the passenger side is cracked all the aroun around the bottom, from something on the inside.

I was wanting to know what I should expect when I take it off? I didnt think there was much in that housing to come appart, and the wheels are still locking together. I'm not much of a tranny person, expecially FWD. Also what other years/models will this part interchange with? And do I have have to disassemble anything other than the front crossmember to get to it?

troy1
01-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Your diff is shot. The pin fell out and broke the extention housing most likely. Can be a cheap fix if the ring gear is not damaged. If its not you can just swap out the diff. If you dont think you can fix it get it TOWED to a repair shop. you have to seperate the ball joint and pull the axle out then take the cover off.

Here is one pic I will see if I can find another.

http://www.askbw.com/parts/parts/75410-10.htm

TheSilentChamber
01-24-2006, 11:53 PM
Thanks, thats what I was thinking. I'm going to pull it appart tomorow and see whats going on inside.

troy1
01-25-2006, 07:15 AM
There is more under that cover than that pic shows, so pay careful attention to how it comes apart. There is a bearing on the other side of the diff that may or may not fall out. Sun gear (directional), parking pawl gear (directional), parking pawl bearing (directional). Don’t pull the shaft out that the sun gear splines to that going in past the ring gear.

TheSilentChamber
01-25-2006, 09:28 PM
Got it all appart today, and you were right it was the pin. Put a nice little groove in the extention housing. I havnt pulled anything out of the tranny yet, just got the housing off and called it a day. Going to hit the junk yards tomorow and find a replacement.

troy1
01-25-2006, 09:50 PM
Good luck! You shouldn't be doing those one wheel burnouts! :grinno:

Troy

TheSilentChamber
01-25-2006, 11:06 PM
lol, come on, gotta love a good peg leg smoke job. I think the person who owned it before me did anyway, but I got the car a few years ago and only paid $2000 for it, put about 80,000 miles on it sence I got it (riding right at 150,000) so I'v got my moneys worth.

TheSilentChamber
01-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Well, none of the junk yards will sell me just the part I need. only want to sell the entire tranny. I'v looked online but cant seem to find the part I need. Thinking of just buying a used tranny and putting it in, afterall this one now has a nice bit of metal shavings in it from the extentsion housing.

troy1
01-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Yea at 150K its time for a new one. Just dont let them sell you one that older than a 96. 96 & newer have some updated parts.

Add your comment to this topic!