Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 wagon stereo

nswtex
01-24-2006, 02:35 PM
The OEM head unit is quite a beast, is there anything I need to know before jumping in to replace this thing. This is a great forum with tons of info, that I am using quite a bit of!

kahjdh
01-24-2006, 08:01 PM
All i know that from replacing one that was in a silverado it is a extreme pain and i wouldnt do i again. But i am not too sterio savvy.

matt73
02-03-2006, 01:07 AM
The first thing I would do is buy the Haynes or Chilton repair manual for the car. It will show you exactly how to take the dash apart. I just replaced the stereo in my 91 wagon and the manual really helped. Make sure that which ever install kit you buy has a front bezel with a fairly long extension to it. The kit I bought had several different bezels and I had to use the longest one since aftermarket radios are much deeper than the stock ones. It's a tight fit, but you can get a new radio in without any cutting to modify the dash. The radio will wind up sticking out from the dash but doesn't look bad at all. The new bezel fills the entire opening and blends in really well. Also I suggest buying the wiring harness adapter for the car also. I've been putting stereos in for a long time and used to have to cut the factory radio connector off and splice the new one in the dash. That is no fun at all!! Overall the install wasn't very hard at all.

1986Z28
02-03-2006, 11:59 AM
The OEM head unit is quite a beast, is there anything I need to know before jumping in to replace this thing. This is a great forum with tons of info, that I am using quite a bit of!
ive done it but its not easy to explain, i suggest you get a chiloton manual , there easy to get off ebay

Add your comment to this topic!