Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 S-10 Extreme Sticking Caliper

forjp
01-24-2006, 01:54 PM
My son's S-10 has a sticking RF caliper that we can't seem to correct. We did a brake job not long ago and already had to replace the pads on the RF. When we did that we made sure the rods/bolts that hold the caliper in place were well greased. What else could it be???

OverBoardProject
01-24-2006, 04:25 PM
It either needs a new calper, or a new flexible brake hose

dmbrisket 51
01-25-2006, 12:10 AM
did you lube the slides and polish them? did you collaps the callipers without opening up the bleeder? if so that is your problem, it is the biggest break job no no to push a piston back in like every one use to do, you can and will wreck callipers, abs orfices can clog, indirectly you will ruen tires and roters if gone on for to long

forjp
01-25-2006, 06:58 AM
Yes, we did compress the piston without opening the bleeder valve. We did polish and lube the slides. Is there any way to recover the caliper without having to purchase a new one?

dmbrisket 51
01-25-2006, 10:46 PM
tisk tisk, that was ok to do years ago, but with the computer systems in cars today it is a huge ut oh and possibly crying all the way to the bank... the only slight hope is the bleed them GOOD, 2 person bleed (careful, DO NOT LET THE MASTER BOTTUM OUT, if you do, you can (thanks to todays engeneers) be buying one of those too) and bleed a good half a bottle through it, if problem still exsists call a delco supplyer

OffRoadSonoma
01-26-2006, 11:12 AM
did you lube the slides and polish them? did you collaps the callipers without opening up the bleeder? if so that is your problem, it is the biggest break job no no to push a piston back in like every one use to do, you can and will wreck callipers, abs orfices can clog, indirectly you will ruen tires and roters if gone on for to long

I find that very hard to believe. How are you going to replace the old pads with pads the are 1/2 inch thicker without pushing the piston back in. It sounds like way more work than it's worth trying to bleed them to push the piston back in. Come to think of it your whole post sounds kinda fishy and guessy. "abs orfices can clog" Your brakes are a sealed system and unless you get dirt in through the resivoir that is impossible to do what you are saying. Even if your metal lines are 20 years old and rusting, by pushing the piston back in that 1/2 inch you aren't going to move all that shit around. So I am going to have to call this a half-truth. Sorry.:disappoin

dmbrisket 51
01-26-2006, 03:08 PM
ok, so i had a long post here, but im editing, off road, i dont care if you feel that it is a half truth, your talking to an automotive technition, i have on the job training, schooling and certification that i had to go through, i know what i am talking about, i do this kinda stuff on a daily bases, i dont feel a need to go into how break fluid is hydroscopic and makes a muddy substence instead of break fluid, the system is suppose to be sealed, but it isnt, air gets in there, you will fuck something up if you dont do breaks the right way, break the bleeder and push the piston in, the abs valves dont like shit in them, do as you wish, just know, im here when you need help fixing something because you thought it was to much work doing it the right way

movin2stereo
01-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Change the brake hose.The hose can collapse and this will keep the caliper from being able to release,thus making it hang up.Everytime I change a caliper,I change the hose for good measure.I never knew you wasn't suppose to push the piston back without cracking the bleeder,learn something every day.

dmbrisket 51
01-29-2006, 03:21 AM
it is possible, not likly, mine on my 98 are originals still, but it all depends on how and where, and yes on any vehical with abs, even rabs or rwal systems, never push the piston in wihtou opening up the bleeder, yes, 9 out of 10 you can get away with it on vehicals from the 90's, but there is alwase that chance, and as the vehicals get newer, they systems get more sencitive and dont like it when you do things the old way... a quick example, we gave a 250 usd estemate to do a tuneup on an 01 ford ranger, they guy (womans truck) came back called us crooks because he can get the parts for a lot less then that and do it himselfe, we said fine, his story tell it as he wants, last monday (a week after ht took the truck) it was back in our lot, so we pushed it in and thought wtf, so we read the note, he appologized and we realy looked into it, 2 plugs werent in the hole, and the threads to put the plug there were missing also, something as simple as a tuneup costs so much because we as the tech's need to know so much with something like removing a farking plug so it doesnt wind up with the moter swingen on a chain to put heli coils in it

unbe
01-29-2006, 07:49 AM
forjp
Another possibility is that your calipers were pitted on the inside.When you pushed the pistons back they were in a new spot that they hadn't been in awhile and now the piston\seal is hanging up on the rough spot.
Unbe

Add your comment to this topic!