Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

GVWR & towing capacity for 94 K1500

wildcats
01-24-2006, 08:54 AM
I have a 1994 1500 4X4 w/a 5.7L engine, auto tranny, and thinking about getting a travel trailer to pull with it. Problem is the "capacity" sticker on the driver's door is worn and unreadable. Can anyone tell me what the GVWR rating is likely to be for this truck, or where I can find this information? What about front and rear weight ratings? When I bought the truck it had P245/75R16 tires all the way around. Are these tires likely the factory size/rating? If so, how much would my GVWR increase by going to D or E rated tires? And how heavy of a trailer can I pull? I've done some searches on the internet but can't seem to find any information on GVWR and towing capacity for that "old" of a vehicle. Also was wanting to know what transmission is likely in this truck and what would be a heavier replacement tranny that would be better suited for towing? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

OKCSuburban
01-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Edmunds? Look up your vehicle and then find the specs on the left side of the screen.

Anyone else? Ideas here.

How much are you wanting to pull?

Springs, sway bars, brakes, cooling system, trans, If you are wanting to pull a lot with an older burb or a newer one be sure to check it all out.

I have a 2000 4wd, 5.3 motor, and I think mine is rated at being able to pull at least 7,200 lbs.

maxwedge
01-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Remember GVWR does not indicate tow capacity this is a seperate spec.

wildcats
01-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Thanks OKC & Maxwedge. Per Edmunds my GVWR is 7200 lbs and supposedly my truck is rated to pull a 10,000 lb trailer but that seems a bit much to me. That seems more what a 2500 should be rated to pull. I'm thinking a 6-7,000 lb. trailer would be more appropriate for me but I'll keep looking for more information so I know for sure. I did have the guy weigh the travel trailer that I'm looking to buy and it weighs just under 5900 lbs. and it was pretty well loaded with gear when he weighed it. He says the tongue weight is just over 800 lbs. so I should be okay with that part. Thanks again for the information.

kd auto
01-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Wildcats...yup, it is "supposed" to be able to tow 10 500 lbs or so. I wouldn't recommend that with the 350 and smaller 4l60e trans. I also say 6000,maybe 7000 lbs on pretty flat ground should be ok. I have the same truck and tow 4000 lbs regularly,6000 on occasion. It'll take everything to move up a hill past 6000 lbs. Watch not to use overdrive when towing,and make sure you have the larger factory "stacked plate" oil cooler. BTW, anything over 5000lbs on this should have the weight distributing arms on it. Watch the brakes, they are kinda weak fro the factory so make sure the trailer has functioning ones.

kd auto
01-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Whoa, I just noticed that you had "P" rated tires. I'm surprised they even make them that size. Definitely change for "E" rated tires with a load like that. The truck just won't be safe with P tires. The E rating will make it MUCH more stable in crosswinds and ruts. Keep them inflated to 50-60 PSI with E rated tires.:2cents:

OKCSuburban
01-30-2006, 11:05 AM
I have been thinking of adding some airbag helpers to mine. I normally tow a boat, around 3800 pounds. When we are fully loaded I'm down in the rear...low rider rear dragger almost.

I like KD Auto's words of wisdom.

kd auto
02-03-2006, 07:08 PM
OKC, I'd skip on the airbags. I live in a cold climate 6/12 months and they won't last more than a couple of years. I also have a plow setup on my 94 Sub and my 89 V-series. I added Timbren brand suspension aids. They are virtually indestructible,100% reliable,and relatively inexpensive. Looking at them at first glance they look justlike rubber bump stops but they ARE different. I thought I'd remove them every spring when I remove the plow setup on my 94, but they actually improved the ride and handling, so they are permanent. They are available frt and rr.:2cents:

OKCSuburban
02-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks KD, I will have to look into that. I still have not done anything. Still too cold here to get the boat out. I just replace the rear shocks and hate the idea of trashing new stuff. That is my main reason for looking at airbags.
From what I can tell I can get them (airbags) for about $100.00 from my local NAPA dealer.

Add your comment to this topic!