Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need help with front end problem

trackrat
01-24-2006, 01:30 AM
I already checked the sticky post and it gave me some ideas but was not pinpointing the problem. The hood washers are good, had the torsion bar mounts, stabalizer end links and tie rod ends replaced and the bang is still there. I even checked the body mounts, looked at a few weld spots to determine if one of those broke loose. Nothing.

Here it is: When I back out of my driveway I start to turn my steering wheel to the right. As soon as the front tires start to make the transition from the sidewalk to the driveway going into the street it "BOOMS" right under my feet. You can't hear it outside but you sure as hell can hear it and also feel it inside! It almost feels as if the whole front end shifts to on side. There is a little bit of tension in the front end and after it BOOMS the tension is relieved.

It's sort of makeing me wonder if it is the driveline somewhere, or possibly the motor or transmission mount.

I like a good challange, but man, this is crazy!!

zirb
01-24-2006, 02:13 AM
Check your motor mounts.

BlueMonster
01-24-2006, 06:00 AM
Could it be an upper strut bearing that is worn out and sticking? I used to have a Corsica that the bearing had completely collapsed in and it sounded like someone was hitting the car with a hammer when I turned the wheel if the car wasn't moving.

Jimmy58
01-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Hi trackrat, I think you will find that a torsion bar bushing has seperated. You will find this on the crossbar that is at the back end of your torsion bars. To find wich side is bad use a prybar to see if you can lift the cross bar on either end where it bolts to the frame. There is a rubber mount( a lot like a rear tranny mount) on either end of the cross bar and usualy the one on the drivers side lets loose first.
Check it out and get back with us so we will know what you found.

maxwedge
01-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Seconded on the torsion bar mounts, very common, it would be nice however to know the year of this truck!

trackrat
01-24-2006, 07:11 PM
I had the torsion bar mounts replaced. These are the ones that look like a "T". I also had the motor mounts/tranny mounts/crossmembers checked. All good.

It's a 2000 Jimmy SLT.

It's been to 4 different mechanics now. I'm wondering about the wheel bearing, when it's under pressure would it move a little and create the bang....

Jimmy58
01-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Have you checked the CV joints on the front independent suspension? Also the front U joint on the intermediate shaft? I am sure the mechanics have checked the upper and lower ball joints?

trackrat
01-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Upper and lower ball joints have been replaced, CV joints checked, if it was the U joint wouldn't it make the clunk when shifting?

Now I am hearing the clunk slightly when I make a hard stop, I wonder if it is the wheel bearing....

taylorman
02-01-2006, 09:16 AM
I agree with Jimmy 58. I've had them go bad on several different gm models, from s-10 trucks to Jimmys and blazers. It took me lots of money and front end parts to figure out the problem. The mounts aren't real expensive and easy to replace. I've also had them break on either side. Since I'm a mailman I get to replace these kinds of parts all the time. Gravel roads and ditches seem to wear front end and suspension parts out all of the time. Hopw this helps.

trackrat
02-01-2006, 09:50 PM
I took it in to a Chevy dealer and they said that all of the ball joints were loose. So they tightened them all up and fixed my leaking oil lines. Tomorrow I will see if that was the problem.

I will keep you guys posted.

trackrat
02-09-2006, 10:49 PM
It was the ball joints. Make sure they are tight.

Peace,
TrackRat

Add your comment to this topic!