Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Which Car to fix up?

whatup
01-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Hey guys...I live in Japan and wanting to fix up a car...I will give 3 options with prices that I am trying to decide on...Please give your opinion on which car you would fix up and why...

1992 Civic (B16a) -- Currently own.
1996 MR2 Turbo -- $4000.00 to buy
1995 RX7 Turbo -- $4000.00 to buy

I kind of want to turbo the Civic because there is next to none in Japan. Everyone goes Lancer, 180sx, Sylvia, Chaser/MarkII, or Skyline. I'm just scared to start the Civic project because I've never tried to boost a non turbo car. I'm just worried about the prices that will go along with it. Will it be a lot more expensive and less powerful/fast than the MR2 or RX7? Not giving a specific amount of money, which would give you most bang for the buck...The non turbo turning turbo, the mid-engine 2.0 turbo, or the Rotory 7? Please help out.....

TEXSRT4
01-23-2006, 11:42 PM
dang, prices over there are great! i would go with the rx7. rear wheel drive, huge capability. however the mr2 would be awesome too

hxgaser
01-23-2006, 11:56 PM
I agree with Tex on that one. There is a reason that people don't turbo a Civic in Japan, IMO. If I had all options available I would probably pick one of the others. MR2 and RX7 just have better potential with a small budget in mind. Don't get me wrong, you can mod the heck out of a civic, but return to spending ratio might be lower than the other two. So I say sell the Civic and buy one of the others. RX7 if you ask me... Don't forget about the rotary engine though...

whatup
01-27-2006, 10:34 AM
dang, prices over there are great! i would go with the rx7. rear wheel drive, huge capability. however the mr2 would be awesome too

I had a 1993 MR2 with a TD-06S...I never did anything with the internals, but it still hauled ass...:grinno:

whatup
01-27-2006, 10:37 AM
I agree with Tex on that one. There is a reason that people don't turbo a Civic in Japan, IMO. If I had all options available I would probably pick one of the others. MR2 and RX7 just have better potential with a small budget in mind. Don't get me wrong, you can mod the heck out of a civic, but return to spending ratio might be lower than the other two. So I say sell the Civic and buy one of the others. RX7 if you ask me... Don't forget about the rotary engine though...

I know that I'm in the Honda website and have a hatch b16a, but I'm starting to think, for the money, I don't think that the Honda can compete with the MR2 and the 7...

hxgaser
01-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Well I wouln't make that general statement. Hondas are great cars and some Hondas will beat MR2 or RX7 without a doubt. But I am refering to Civics. Do the math. Civics are mid $10,000 cars from the factory. MR2s and RX7 are mid $20,000 from the factory. You are comparing apples and oranges there. Compare them to S2000. See what happens then. Or dump $10,000 into a Civic and see what happens.

Just to reiterate, many Honda's will compete with the other without a doubt. But you are comparing apples to oranges.

TEXSRT4
01-27-2006, 10:07 PM
a FWD will not handle as well, nor will it be able to launch it as hard

Add your comment to this topic!