Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Door panel and door handles

camohog1
01-23-2006, 09:06 PM
I have a question that I have not been able to find an answer to anywhere on the net. Now it could be that Im not looking in the right place, but I thought I would try here. I have a 1991 S10 pickup and I have had to replace the exterior door handles at least 5 times since I have owned the truck (bought it in 92) I was wondering is there something that I am not doing correctly when I install them, or are they just prone to break. They snap off at the welds and are only held on by the rod and the back is held on by the bolts that came with the back of the handle. :banghead:
My next question is how does one get the inside window strip off. That is the strip that is between the panel and the window as looking at it from the inside. I didnt have one on my drivers side so it was easy to do. I dont want to do any permanent damage to the stripping. Once the panel is off how do you get the window crank off for more access to the whole door w/out the panel getting in the way. :screwy:
Thanks for the help.-Aaron

OverBoardProject
01-27-2006, 10:11 AM
That strip that you mentioned is stapled to the door panel. (at least on my 85)

When I took the panel off for the first time it pulled of, so I replaced those staples with rivits. It works just fine, and hasn't come off the twice that I pulled the panels since.

I have power everything, so I can't say for certian about your window cranks, but I just can't see Chevy cranks breaking like that. Cheap aftermerket yes, but not stock..

Inside the door is easily accessable once the door panels are off, and you should be able to spray all the linkage with some spray lube (don't use WD-40, use something that will stick in there)

movin2stereo
01-28-2006, 09:45 PM
As Overboard said lube up the latch assembly.That has to be the reason your breaking so many handles,unless your pins and bushes are so bad that you have to pull hard to open the door.As for the window crank,you need a window crank tool for that.You can get one at a auto parts store.

Add your comment to this topic!