Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gasket HELP!!!

lionelkirk2004
01-23-2006, 04:54 PM
I need to know which Gasket I need to replace and what parts exaclty that I am going to need to replace it.
I have a 1995 Grand Am GT 3.1L 3100. Right now the car is sitting but I needed some help. My Coolant Is mixing with my oil and I don't know what Gasket that it is? Can I drive it to the place where it will be getting fixed at? PLease Respond ASAP. Thanks!

Hoags
01-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Most of the time when you have oil and coolant mixing it is a result of a bad head gasket, on the 3.1L V6 you will have 2 heads and head gaskets, unfortunatly most of the time it is not easy to tell which side is causing the problem.

Depending on how bad the leak is will dictate weather or not you can drive the car. Is it blowing a lot of smoke out of the tail pipe? and how far do you have to drive? Is the temp guage climbing? All of this will tell you if you can drive the car or not.

GTP Dad
01-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Unfortunately, I have to disagree with Hoags this time. Most of the time on the 3.1 or 2.8 when you get water mixing with the oil you will need to replace the lower intake manifold gaskets. To get to these gaskets you will need to remove the upper phlenum and the throttle body and a host of other parts. I would get a manual either chiltons or haynes before even attempting it. If you have white smoke coming out the exhaust then the head gaskets will also need to change them like Hoags said!

lionelkirk2004
01-23-2006, 06:16 PM
no, it starts like normal and everything. It's just the coolant is mixing in with the oil, no smoke though.

xeroinfinity
01-23-2006, 06:58 PM
water in the oil will destroy your engines ability to lubricate its self properly, and can ruin the motor! Id get it towed to be safe.

Hoags
01-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Hey GTP Dad, I'm allowed to be a little off, however I did take the assumption of the smoke out of the tail pipe, that has been my experience when I've had oil/coolant mix. But your probably right it has been a while since I have had to deal with that (knock/knock/knock).

Add your comment to this topic!