1991 corolla 4afe engine mods?

mixmastabob4
01-23-2006, 03:15 PM
is there any kind of mods that i could do to get more power out of my 4afe? I would like to consider an engine swap but i'm kinda low on cash. If there are parts for the 4afe where would i be able to find them?

Thanks

deadring
01-27-2006, 10:41 AM
is there any kind of mods that i could do to get more power out of my 4afe? I would like to consider an engine swap but i'm kinda low on cash. If there are parts for the 4afe where would i be able to find them?

Thanks

i had a 1991 rolla and i must say that a cold air intake on 3 inch piping was the way to go.. you will not believe the diffrence it will make.. even more if the car is a 5 speed.

i could take it up to the redline in 4 th reach close to 120 in 5th. and from a start i could hold on to any civic SI and even pass the newer becuase there alot heavier.

the one i have isd carbed and with that much mileage ( 200 000 miles) it will not like going up to 7000 rpm. so i keep it cool with it.. i go to 6000 :P

Deadring

joykill
01-27-2006, 09:57 PM
its amazing how just one mod(CAI) could produce so much power and speed...and if you havent got it yet...that was sarcasm...no dont get me wrong...the rollas are one hell of a car..but what you are saying is just nonsense...i mean how did you know that you were going 120???the spedo only reads to 110...and i dont even think the top speed of a stock rolla is even close to 110...and really, you think that some mods and nos can make you faster...NO...it cant...your gear ratios wont allow you to go any faster than top speed...unless of course you change out the tranny...reminds me of a line from that move fast and the furious which ricers love o so dearly..."My car topped out at 140 today...I need NOS, the big one...in fact make it two"...hahaha...loser...if your car tops out what the hell would make anyone think that adding a 100 shot of nos would make you go so much faster...take this analogy for example...you buy a shoe(a bolt on part...lets say an intake which supposedly gives you 20+ hp)and that shoe advertises that with it you could run faster than what you have ran before...ok...so you by the shoe and it does nothing for you time...reason being is because that shoe will not take you faster than you have ever ran...you would need to train(change) your legs(tranny)...ok...and im not trying to bash on a corolla...i have a 95 5 speed...so before you say that im bashing...keep in mind i do own one...end of rant

joykill
01-27-2006, 09:58 PM
oh and learn how to spell...and shit

deadring
01-30-2006, 08:15 AM
first of al i had a 300zx from a friend beside me.. thats how i knew i was CLOSE to 120.. 196 km/h to be precise..

as for the spelling shit you said, im french canadian, english is my god damn second language, where i live only 15% know english.. atleast i had the willing and intelligence to LEARN another language... so if you're not happy with my spelling why not just shut up dumbass...

atleast im trying here.

geez

Deadring

joykill
01-30-2006, 11:08 PM
t saying that your not trying...as for the spelling and grammar...sorry...didnt know that your second language is english...my bad...seriously though...try to back up the other things...like a CAI adding about 18-19 hp...i mean wtf

deadring
01-31-2006, 06:36 AM
t saying that your not trying...as for the spelling and grammar...sorry...didnt know that your second language is english...my bad...seriously though...try to back up the other things...like a CAI adding about 18-19 hp...i mean wtf

i never said it gives 18 hp from a simple CAI.. never..

what i said was: hhaving the STOCK filter and airbox, i could barely get it to 105.. in 5 th and in 4th as well.. and it was a slug... trhen i install a CHEAP 3" CAI just for fun ( and sound) but discovered that this would be an incredible change in performance.

i would hold 4th gear till the rev limiter and it wouldn't stop till it go there.. meaning that the stock air box is VERY restrictive.. so then for testing, i try top speed with a firend of mine's to see top speed since the needle on my speedo would fall of the chart... so it was 196-197 km/h ( close to 120)

then i tryed agaisnt a freiend of mines 98 civic SI and followed him.. he never got away even till top speed...

so it just goes to show you that a filter WILL help.. it's not turbocharged or anything..

Deadring

joykill
02-02-2006, 12:03 AM
notr saying that it wont help or anything....but i do know that the airbox is restrictive...but damn...restrictive enough as so when you change out the filter and the piping it suddenly unleases 15 mph...i seriously dont think so...

HeWhoKillz
02-13-2006, 11:49 PM
I guarentee the 91 corolla can go to 110, i can get to that in just 4th gear and the speedometer kept going past the 110 mark, i really odn't know how much more 5th gear would give. I honestly think the car would start bogging down.

bigirb2002
02-25-2006, 10:15 PM
it can but your best bet is swap to a blacktop if u cant find that swap to a silvertop

drews2525
03-03-2006, 11:23 PM
The only true out of the box mods that I have been ablt to find for any of the smaller toyota engines are a slim possibility of headers. Other than that I have been going for the last few years to a muffleer shop and getting them to bend some 3" pipe with a flange on the end to fit the throttle body. Only other thing you have to do is weld a bracket to the back underside for mounting where the original intake box was. This will increase the horsepower by about 2-4 HP at the most. I did this on a 92 tercel and have found the only true difference between it and and my carbed 88 rolla is the power steering pump and the fact that it is carbed. I think that there is a holly FI setup for the 4A-FE engines also. I hope that some of this will give you a little more insight.

mriev
07-07-2011, 09:30 PM
It's possible to gain 10 to 20 hp on a 4A-FE by adding CAI and a free flowing exhaust. Even 10 hp gain is very noticable on an engine that makes 100 hp stock.

CMauro_75
07-08-2011, 07:38 PM
It's possible to gain 10 to 20 hp on a 4A-FE by adding CAI and a free flowing exhaust. Even 10 hp gain is very noticable on an engine that makes 100 hp stock.

Yeah straight pipe the exhaust and your going to see gains. Plus, get a high flow airbox and your talking closer to 20 hp.

mriev
07-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Yeah straight pipe the exhaust and your going to see gains. Plus, get a high flow airbox and your talking closer to 20 hp.

Headers, 2 inch exhaust and a low restriction muffler will provide HP gain with very little adverse effect on low end torque. With a low restriction cold air intake, you might get as much as a 20 hp gain without losing anything on the bottom end. Portmatching the intake and head and a little cleanup in the combustion chambers could put the 4A-FE up there with a 4A-GE.

Add your comment to this topic!