Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Grand Am Leaking Gasoline

dh302
01-23-2006, 09:06 AM
All,

I have a 2000 Grand Am with a 4 cylinder engine. On the way to work this morning I started smelling gasoline. When I got to work and popped the hood I noticed a device on top of the motor that looks like maybe it has a diaphragm in it and a small vacuum hose hooked to it. I think it was attached to the fuel rail. Anyway, it had gasoline dripping off of it. I was going to work on it at lunch time, but I thought it would be nice to know what this device is and what it does. Can anybody help? Thanks.

Doug

Hoags
01-23-2006, 09:48 AM
Doug
If you are looking at the round device with a vac hose coming off the top to the left of the fuel rail it is most likely the fuel pressure regulator. I have never had any problems with that so I'm not sure what is involved in changing it but if it is leaking there then you should get it changed before running the engine so that you do not end up with a fire.

HEADS UP: I had a problem with the fuel rail at one time and had to remove it make sure to use caution when you pull the injectors out. There are "O" rings on each of the injectors. I had one fall off and down into the hole where the injector was, it fell down into the head and I was lucky enough to be able to fish it out. Also make sure the injectors are seated properly when reinstalling, If not you will end up with a leak around the injector.

Good luck, I'll be checking the site later this morning/early this afternoon, if you have any other issues,

Dan

p.s. Welcome to the Forum

dh302
01-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Dan,

Thanks. I’ll take a better look at it at lunch time.

Doug

gmack221
01-23-2006, 11:55 AM
I agree, don't run it until you get the leak stopped, and it sound like the fuel pressure regulator on the passanger side of the fuel rail, should only be 3 or 4 screws or bolts to get it off, unless you have to pull the fuel rail. getting the injectors lined back up can be a treat, but with a little patience you'll get it back together.

Hoags
01-23-2006, 02:27 PM
gmack,

"treat" is a nice way to put it. I had some trouble getting them to line up, but I found that by going easy and not forcing the issue that they went much easier, Doug, just take your time and do not use too much force they will line up!

dh302
01-23-2006, 02:42 PM
I looked at my car at lunch time. It looks like the fuel is leaking on the underside of the fuel pressure regulator and getting blown to the top side of the regulator. Is replacing the fuel pressure regulator as simple as unbolting the old one and bolting on the new one? The reason I ask, is there looks like a couple of adjusting screws and a thin jam nut on the fuel pressure regulator? Could the leak be coming from an O-ring or something under the fuel pressure regulator? Thanks.

Doug

Hoags
01-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Doug,
I just checked my Haynes manual and it says to Remove the fuel rail then Remove the screws from the fuel pressure regulator retainer, slide the retainer off the fuel rail then seperate the regulator from the rail. Installation of the fuel pressure regulator is the reverse of removal, but be sure to use a new "O" ring between the regulator and fuel rail. It must be that simple.

I took this right from the manual word for word.

Good luck.

xeroinfinity
01-23-2006, 06:53 PM
hey It may just be the "o" ring thats bad on the fuel pressure regulator and not the FPR its self. my :2cents:

oh and its an easy fix!

dh302
01-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Dan,

Do I understand you correctly; the entire rail needs to come off? If so, do the four black injectors or whatever that go down to the engine stay on the rail, or do they stay on the engine? Where did you get your Haynes manual? I was going to buy one last night, but they said they didn’t make one yet. Does your manual have a part number? It looks like there is a return line or something on the driver’s side of that rail. It looks like I need to replace the O-rings and maybe the fuel pressure regulator too. The parts store didn’t have any of the parts in stock; they had to be ordered in. I tried to figure out if the leak is coming from the regulator or an O-ring, but the leak stops and starts intermediately, so it’s hard to tell. Thanks for every bodies help.

Doug

Hoags
01-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Doug,

My Haynes manual is actually for the Grand Am 1985 thru 1998, but the 2.4L engine has not changed. I bought mine at Advanced Auto Parts for $16.95 I am mot sure but I thought I saw the book for the 2000 GA's it may have other GM cars listed on the same book. Mine is for the Skylark/Somerset/Achieva/ Calais/amd Gramd Am ( they all have the same engine options)

The Injectors do come off with the fuel rail, this is why we were kidding around a bit about putting them back in place. Because there are 4 of them and they are attached to the rail it is a little frustrating tryiing to align all 4 so they seat properly. I found that if I remained cool and did not get too aggrivated the whole process went much smoother. I did it 2 times, the first time they were not seated and I forced the rail screws. I started the car drove around the block and stoped I then smelled gas and had a puddle of gas under the car. I temoved the rail again fixed the o-rings on the injectors and took my time and they slid right in place and ta-da, no more leaks,

I did my first attempt at the fuel rail removal in the dark with a halogen work light, the second time was in the middle of the day (much easier to see what was what).

Guud luck,
Dan

dh302
01-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks everybody.

Doug

Add your comment to this topic!