Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to change the spark plugs?

fantastic
01-22-2006, 05:51 PM
OK I have searched the site and can't find any threads on where to find the motor mounts, "dog bones" or something like that. I really need to change the plugs and don't want to take it to the shop. You know, save some money and such.:grinyes: Can someone post a picture of the mounts with some directions on how to change the plugs. I know I will have to rock the motor forward with it in park. Is there going to be something to stop the motor from falling through the rad:banghead: Then I will have to go to the shop.

Thanks to all who can help.

GTP Dad
01-22-2006, 06:43 PM
This article is not related to changing plugs but it talks about the upper motor mounts. (Dog Bones) should help you identify them. Remove the bolts connecting them to the engine and hold out of the way while you rotate the engine. Be careful not to break the aluminum mount on the drivers side of the engine when you do this. It will not strike your radiator due to the transmission and motor mounts limiting the travel of the engine.

http://www.oqcgp.com/forum/kb.php?mode=article&k=66

StevePT
01-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Apparently removing the front engine mounts makes changing the spark plugs easier, but on the 3.8L it's simple to just change them.

Get the right spark plug socket and with a 3/8" ratchet and about a 2" extension take out the front plugs. For the rear plugs you can't use the extension and you'll have to get your knees up on the intake manifold/supercharger (whatever you have). Put a piece of foam or something for your knees to rest on otherwise they'll get sore from pressing down on the irregular surfaces.

The only tricky plug is cylinder 6 because the boot comes right up next to the O2 sensor. Other than that it's a breeze and you don't have to waste your time unbolting other stuff and then putting it back on.

Check the gap, put some never-seaze on the plug threads and start the plugs into the head by hand.

Add your comment to this topic!