Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

no idle at all

BMD2375
01-22-2006, 11:00 AM
First off I wanna say I am a newbie here.
I know this has been covered like a million times.
I had an issue where my 98 GA V6 would rev. very high.
I came here and found that it was possible the TPS. I changed that 2 weeks ago and that issue hasnt happened again.
NOW when I let off of the gas the car dies.
Now I have read here that its possible the Idle Air Control valve/sensor.
Can anyone please post a pic of what it looks like.
is it directly above the TPS on the TB? OR is it right behind the TPS?
I dont think its a fuel delivery issue because when im on the gas it doesnt studder or anything like that.
Please help. Thank you all.
Brian

Ridenour
01-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Welcome to the forum. I don't think your problem sounds like a function of the IAC motor. A bad IAC motor shouldn't cause your engine to rev super high. My guess would be MAF related, but for diagnostic purposes, check out and clean your IAC motor as well. The IAC motor should be above your TPS on the throttle body. It should be held in by a couple of screws. Try cleaning it using some throttle body cleaner. Clean the spindle end of the motor, and the cavity in the throttle body where it sets as well. It won't hurt to clean it (if done properly). But I believe the problem may be more related to your Mass Air Flow sensor. You might want to try getting a cheap used MAF from a junkyard and swapping it with your stock one to see if that makes a difference. Does you car seem to shift hard as well?

BMD2375
01-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Thank you.
The engine was racing before I changed the TPS sensor.
It no longer does that now.
NOW the engine doesnt Idle.
but what I have found today is that its an intermittent thing.
Not constant.
I hooked my fathers "scanner" to the car and no codes were being thrown out. Which I thought was strange. Then I let off the gas and found that the car was idling fine. I will see tomorrow morning since im in North Jersey and its supposed to be bad weather tonight.
There was no Idle at all when I let off of the gas It was like the engine was off but the idle wouldnt drop quick because I was on the highway rolling.
The car has got 140K on it I dont think it woudl hurt to change out the IAC since its only a $40 or so part.
anything else please let me know.
once again thanks.

sorry no its doesnt seem to be shifting hard. it stalls when I let off the gas. If I throw it in Neutral and keep on the gas the car doesnt stall.

Gir-_-
01-23-2006, 12:56 AM
New IAC should be around $60-$80 depending where you buy it from... I have some guys actually holding a new one for me and it costs $75

Mines a 99' GA SE .. dunno if year and model would effect price.

Add your comment to this topic!