Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sugar in gas tank

sam24fan
01-22-2006, 08:34 AM
someone has put sugar in my neighbors gas tank. it still turns over but it wont start. what needs to be done to fix this problem?

grfnkl
01-22-2006, 09:30 AM
You will need to drop the tank and flush out all the old gas with sugar in it. It would also be advised to replace the fuel filter. There is a potential it has damaged other component in the car... but i would start of from there and see how bad it is.

GTP Dad
01-22-2006, 09:53 AM
How long did he run the car with the sugar in the tank? Everything grfnkl said is true but you may also end up replacing fuel injectors and plugs too. Sugar will not readily mix with gasoline but it will destroy a lot due to the stickiness of what does dissolve. Replacing the fuel pump is also not out of the question.

Hoags
01-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Unfortunatly sugar in the tank is one of the worst things that someone could do to a car. It is one of those things that can get messy and expensive, If your neighbor knows and has proof as to who did this they should file a police report, who knows they may be made to pay for the repairs.

Any way Garfnkl and GTP Dad are both correct, I have seen it so bad that the owner had to replace just about the whole fuel system. Fuel pump, filter lines injectors and so on. There really is no simple fix, at the very least it will require dropping the gas tank for a good flush, and then it will come down to which of the other components are affected.

Good luck

Gir-_-
01-23-2006, 12:53 AM
what the hell? thats so wrong... makes me want to buy one of those gas caps with the key lock... hope it all turns out alright bro.

tommy00gt1
01-23-2006, 09:36 AM
When I bought my GT1 last july, that's the very first thing I bought for it.....one of those locking gas caps. I think I paid about $10.00 for it; it is made by Stant company. That money is very well spent, and good insurance to have. Sadly, there are sickos who get enjoyment out of doing pranks like that....That's a damn shame.

Tommy

sam24fan
01-25-2006, 07:15 AM
How long did he run the car with the sugar in the tank? Everything grfnkl said is true but you may also end up replacing fuel injectors and plugs too. Sugar will not readily mix with gasoline but it will destroy a lot due to the stickiness of what does dissolve. Replacing the fuel pump is also not out of the question.

he ran it about a weak then it started spitting and sputtering then quit running

GTP Dad
01-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Unfortunately, he is going to have to spend money to replace the entire fuel system. This will include the fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator and fuel injectors. It will probably cost $1500 to $2000 depending on the labor rate. He may even want to put on a new fuel tank if it can't be adequately cleaned.

xeroinfinity
01-25-2006, 01:31 PM
another thing I hav seen, is the sugar crystalizes on the valves, and well, when they get hot the vavles can stick and bend, or break!
neither is very good. I know that wasnt what you wanted to here, but it is something you should be aware of if the fuel system flush doesnt fix the car.

Add your comment to this topic!