Occasional/ intermittent rough idle and loss of power

ChrisGood
01-20-2006, 03:35 PM
I have a 2000 GMC JIMMY which suddenly has developed a stutter...lol
It will drive fine for a while then suddenly you stop at a light the idle drops low and when you go to start off it bucks and jumps and acts like it is going to die. It started doing this a while ago so I cleaned the maf, replaced the wires, the plugs have maybe 10k on them, replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the throttle body. Thought it was fixed and now it is doing it again, not nearly as bad as before but still its not right. After the little tune up I did it did get a lot of its power back that it had slowly lost over the last few years but I know there has to be something more. I am thinking rotor and cap but not sure, and if not then what?

Slow_n_ez
01-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Hummmm .. sounds like its gasping for air ... change the air filter was probably done at same time as fuel filter .... My pickup use to do same thing , however the cause was traced to a air leak in the fuel line .... just enough of a leak to make the dirt wet but not soaked or dripping .... I read also through the threads that some valve in the exhaust pipe manifold will malfunction and close ,therfore choking off air that needs to be pushed out

old_master
01-21-2006, 01:11 PM
The distributor cap and rotor should be replaced at each tune up and as necessary between tune ups.

Check the EGR valve. Remove it and clean the passages in the valve and intake manifold. Install an upgraded gasket between the EGR valve and intake manifold. It has a screen in it designed to break up carbon deposits that are dislodged from the combustion chambers. Any GOOD auto parts store will have it.

ChrisGood
01-25-2006, 09:34 AM
it seems to have stopped, think maybe it just needed to adjust a little after all the work was done to it?

Add your comment to this topic!