Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Your thoughts on an 1984 240

kndfrnd
01-20-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm looking at purchasing a Volvo 240 for $500 bucks. She says thet the blower on the heater is out and there is a small oil leak. She also says that to fix the heater it will cost about 4-5 hundred and she wasn;t sure on the oil leak. I suppose the oil leak could get pricey. It has 151,000 miles and I pulled a CARFAX on it and it seems to have been taken care of. Can anyone tell me what else I may need to anticipate? I am looking to purchase this car for my 64 year old mom and I do not want it to strand her in the snow in Minnesota. I feel good about the car itself and the seller. I am checkin it out tonight.Thanks!

Mike_Brace
03-12-2006, 11:17 AM
The blower motor could be a corroded fuse or corroded connection. These do fail due to constant useage on full speed. Quite a job to replace but needn't cost a lot if you get a good one from wreckers and fit it yourself. Oil leaks aren't bad to sort, you may find front seals leaking - replace cam belt at same time. Cam cover and filler cap rubber are also common culprits. Generally the 240s are pretty reliable so if body good and the car looks to be looked after and engine ok worth buying provided you cost in known repairs when negotiating.

Mike

TheMan5952
03-15-2006, 09:00 PM
yea, front engine seals are a common leak on these cars. not hard to change out. Just buy a manual for it and goto work.

Add your comment to this topic!